Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Front squat

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
I have low back pain
Back squat seem to put too much strain on my vertebrae

Would front squating be better ?

Maybe you have a weak lower back? Strengthening it directly might be an option.

If you are carrying an injury, I'd sort that out first.

As for front squats, they might even be more demanding on your core. Personally, I find both front and zercher squats hit my stabilisers a lot more than back squats. Have you tried front squats and compared how your lower back feels?

I have a fracture of the vertebrae (4 years ago)

I have tried back squat which caused me back strain and I have been told that doing front squat "properly" would strengthen my back muscles

Reverse hypers and back extensions will isolate your lower back in order to strengthen it.

Are you currently deadlifting? Have you seen a good sports doctor, as in one that works with top athletes? In treating my injuries, they've always been able to provide excellent advice as they are aware of an athlete's needs.

Zander1983 said:

Are you currently deadlifting?
yes !
Have you seen a good sports doctor, as in one that works with top athletes? In treating my injuries, they've always been able to provide excellent advice as they are aware of an athlete's needs.

a sport doctor, yes

a good one, unfortunately no :(

BTW thanx for your help

AAP said:
Your lower back is taxed for during front squats than rear squats.

you mean that I should not front squat ?

What's up broly!!?!?!? :D

If regular squats are causing you back pain, front squats will likely not be any different. While a front squat puts your back/torso in a more "straight up" position, the weight is also less centered and tends to pull you forward, which you compensate for primarily with your lower back. So it's kinda six in one to me.

Personally, since finally learning to do deads corrrectly, my lower back pain has all but disappeared. How long have you been doing them?

gymtime said:
What's up broly!!?!?!? :D

If regular squats are causing you back pain, front squats will likely not be any different. While a front squat puts your back/torso in a more "straight up" position, the weight is also less centered and tends to pull you forward, which you compensate for primarily with your lower back. So it's kinda six in one to me.

Personally, since finally learning to do deads corrrectly, my lower back pain has all but disappeared. How long have you been doing them?

Back squat : I have done them for a few years and stop doing them recently

and I have just started doing deads

Anthrax said:

Back squat : I have done them for a few years and stop doing them recently

and I have just started doing deads

Stay with the deads and you'll find that most if not all your lifts will go up. The trick is to be patient though. Don't try to add a lot of weight each week. Form is more important on deads than on any other excercise, IMO, so concentrate on that. After a few months, you'll be amazed how a strong lower back improves your life!

Top Bottom