Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Free weights vs. bodyweight

4mbrad

How would you compare the training with free weights,and the weight of your body? I mean – our bodies weigh quite a lot,so you can not tell that you are not stressing the muscles when youdo bodyweight training. Why can't one grow with just body weighttraining?

Because there's a limit. Simple example. Dips.

I weigh 276-280lbs at the moment. Let's say I do ten dips at 270lbs bwt. I only have the option of doing more reps with my bodyweight. Once I add free weights (to a dipping belt) I could then do 10 reps with 10lbs more and so on.

People can do handstand reps with their bodyweight or a standing press with a lot more weight than they weigh.

You can definitely grow relatively big by training with your own weight - just look at the calisthenics and street workout athletes - many of these guys are jacked, and they work with their own weight. It is a matter of training properly, and of your expectations. If you want to be as big as professional bodybuilders, you definitely need to train with free weights and other heavy stuff. If you don't have such an expectation, you can still be in a very good shape by training with your own weight.

Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages but generally speaking, free weights are superior to body weight training.

The reason is simple. When you train with free weights, you are able to add additional weight to the exercises.

Body weight training is great at first but eventually you will be so strong that your body weight alone won't be enough resistance.

Take push ups for example. I can do about 30 push ups. That's more of an endurance workout then a muscle size/strength workout. With weights, I am able to put enough weight on their to fail at 6-8 reps.

People forget about good old fashioned push ups and pull ups. They should be essential for all training routines but are often forgotten with all this equipment in the gym. Body weight training on its own will not be enough to grow but it should definitely be part of your routine.

Top Bottom