Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Free weight squats

danbo

I have started university now and the gym they have has a squat rack, so i am going to start doing free weight squats.

So for my question. Should i start lifting say 50% of the weight i lift on the Smith machine just until i get used to the free weight squats? I dont want to injure myself. I also dont have a spotter.

Just take it very steadily. If you've been using a Smith for your squats for an extended period then you'll have a lot of muscle imbalances in your legs. You'll likely feel it most around your knees and up the inside of the thigh into the groin area. Take it down to ATF and increase the weight reasonably slowly.

50% seems a safe enough start point. Work for reps rather than weight for a while and ensure you get an adequate warmup.

Watch your form very carefully, and reduce your weight even further if you cant get your butt below your knees. There is a squat sticky in the PL forum that you should read.

I'd go even lower then 50%
in the smith your ass had to move cus the weights were along a fixed path
yoru muscles will now have to steady the bar and get used to accepting the weight as it moves to and fro
I'd start at 35% of the weight you used on the Smith or 115lbs whichever is less

Top Bottom