Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

free weight military vs. smith machine military

Lee

ok ive been doing smith machine military for a while and really like it, and the only reason i dont do free weight is cuz its really easy to mess yerself up on freeweight military. i was just wondering if there really is a difference in the two.

Lee said:
ok ive been doing smith machine military for a while and really like it, and the only reason i dont do free weight is cuz its really easy to mess yerself up on freeweight military. i was just wondering if there really is a difference in the two.
Using free weights requires stabilization which is a very important aspect of all your lifts.

smith machine provides such an unnatural fixed plane of movement....

i'd use a hammer strength machine or something before a smith....

of course, free weights are the way to go.

I would prefer a BB military or Hammer machine, too.

However, I've seen a very large no. of freaky big, strong guys use the Smith machines for presses, including Dorian Yates and Trevor Smith. They didn't seem too worried about not working their stabilizers as hard.

Conclusion: I can't see that a BB would be orders of magnitude better than a good Smith press, provided the same kind of effort is put into both.

And it does have the added benefit of focusing exclusively on your contraction...balance and stabilization can be a definite plus in performance, but it's not going to make *that* big a difference to a bodybuilder, whose first, second and third orders of business is contraction, contraction, contraction.

I tore my rotator cuffs...doing smith machine military...

Have never touched that machine since.

B True

guldukat said:

However, I've seen a very large no. of freaky big, strong guys use the Smith machines for presses, including Dorian Yates and Trevor Smith.
No doubt on that, I cant wait for Trevor's video to come out...675 lb starting weight on shoulder presses....yikes...

Personally I like to do both, figure that way Im working the stabilizers but also getting the most I can out of the shoulder presses when I hop on the smith

Top Bottom