Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

free weight good mornings...and a squat update

J

jeremys

i just started doing these regurarly a couple weeks ago. now i nkow that a lot of us strength athletes use chain suspended good mornings as a ME move, but how many of you do them with free weights for reps? and how do they compare to your squat numbers?

i'm up to 275 for 8 reps (i do 3 sets, build up to a heavy set which is usually a 10-20 lb PR for that many reps), and i did 275 for a triple for squats in the beginning of the workout. none of my sets were to failure, if that means anything

-----

now for the squat. i tried moving my stance in today so it was a little less than shoulder width and i can ALMOST get TO parallel. this is fucking pathetic.

i'm GUESSING that the problem is that i'm leaning forward because of my frickin shoes, but maybe that's not the only thing.

i remember when i trained westside style a couple months ago that i was making huge advances on the box squat, but i could never break parallel. i have NEVER been able to.

my gm max is more than my squat but i think its due to weak hams and hips but hips are gettin alot better. gm max is 376lb and squat is round 250lbs.

LS, i've been at a commercial gym for about a month and a half so i've been doing nothing that would get me in trouble (like box squats, pull-throughs, etc). so i've been doing a 5x5, adding 10 pounds a week. but now i'm closing in on a bench meet so i switched to 5x3 and dropped the volume down. the only assistance exercise i've been doing is good mornings, and those are progressing fast also.

i think after the bench meet i'm going to do westside for squats. dont know what i'm going to do for bench as metal militia is hard to do year-round, but i'll reply in a few minutes with the advice that the militia boys give me. i think i'm going to call mule tonight, and i've heard butch smith's way of doing things works well

jeremys said:
LS, i've been at a commercial gym for about a month and a half so i've been doing nothing that would get me in trouble (like box squats, pull-throughs, etc). so i've been doing a 5x5, adding 10 pounds a week. but now i'm closing in on a bench meet so i switched to 5x3 and dropped the volume down. the only assistance exercise i've been doing is good mornings, and those are progressing fast also.

i think after the bench meet i'm going to do westside for squats. dont know what i'm going to do for bench as metal militia is hard to do year-round, but i'll reply in a few minutes with the advice that the militia boys give me. i think i'm going to call mule tonight, and i've heard butch smith's way of doing things works well

Sounds like a plan!

jeremys said:

i was making huge advances on the box squat, but i could never break parallel. i have NEVER been able to.

Even with a box set so that you would be at parallel? Were you able to use a very light weight and just sit back on the box to get used to it? Maybe it's a major flexibility issue?

Re: Re: free weight good mornings...and a squat update

i could get parallel on a box and maybe even a little below, but it was a total different story for full squats

Top Bottom