x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

free weight good mornings...and a squat update

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about free weight good mornings...and a squat update within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: i just started doing these regurarly a couple weeks ago. now i nkow that a lot of us strength athletes use chain suspended good mornings as a ME move, but how many of you do them with free weights for reps? and how do they compare to your squat numbers? i'm up to 275 for 8 reps (i do 3 sets, build up to a heavy set which is usually a 10-20 lb PR for that many reps), and i did 275 for a triple for squats in the beginning of the workout. none of my sets were to failure, if that means anything

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

jeremys

free weight good mornings...and a squat update

i just started doing these regurarly a couple weeks ago. now i nkow that a lot of us strength athletes use chain suspended good mornings as a ME move, but how many of you do them with free weights for reps? and how do they compare to your squat numbers?

i'm up to 275 for 8 reps (i do 3 sets, build up to a heavy set which is usually a 10-20 lb PR for that many reps), and i did 275 for a triple for squats in the beginning of the workout. none of my sets were to failure, if that means anything

-----

now for the squat. i tried moving my stance in today so it was a little less than shoulder width and i can ALMOST get TO parallel. this is fucking pathetic.

i'm GUESSING that the problem is that i'm leaning forward because of my frickin shoes, but maybe that's not the only thing.

i remember when i trained westside style a couple months ago that i was making huge advances on the box squat, but i could never break parallel. i have NEVER been able to.

Guru
    Jeremy,

What does your current squat workout look like? What exercises are you using to strengthen your squats?

my gm max is more than my squat but i think its due to weak hams and hips but hips are gettin alot better. gm max is 376lb and squat is round 250lbs.

jeremys
    LS, i've been at a commercial gym for about a month and a half so i've been doing nothing that would get me in trouble (like box squats, pull-throughs, etc). so i've been doing a 5x5, adding 10 pounds a week. but now i'm closing in on a bench meet so i switched to 5x3 and dropped the volume down. the only assistance exercise i've been doing is good mornings, and those are progressing fast also.

i think after the bench meet i'm going to do westside for squats. dont know what i'm going to do for bench as metal militia is hard to do year-round, but i'll reply in a few minutes with the advice that the militia boys give me. i think i'm going to call mule tonight, and i've heard butch smith's way of doing things works well

Guru
    Originally posted by jeremys
    LS, i've been at a commercial gym for about a month and a half so i've been doing nothing that would get me in trouble (like box squats, pull-throughs, etc). so i've been doing a 5x5, adding 10 pounds a week. but now i'm closing in on a bench meet so i switched to 5x3 and dropped the volume down. the only assistance exercise i've been doing is good mornings, and those are progressing fast also.

i think after the bench meet i'm going to do westside for squats. dont know what i'm going to do for bench as metal militia is hard to do year-round, but i'll reply in a few minutes with the advice that the militia boys give me. i think i'm going to call mule tonight, and i've heard butch smith's way of doing things works well
    Sounds like a plan!

Re: free weight good mornings...and a squat update

Originally posted by jeremys

i was making huge advances on the box squat, but i could never break parallel. i have NEVER been able to.
    Even with a box set so that you would be at parallel? Were you able to use a very light weight and just sit back on the box to get used to it? Maybe it's a major flexibility issue?

jeremys

Re: Re: free weight good mornings...and a squat update

i could get parallel on a box and maybe even a little below, but it was a total different story for full squats