Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Freak19

S

solidj55

Hey bro just wondering if you decided to try the Coan style routine or not? If you do let me know how it works out for. I may be giving it a whorl again pretty soon as well since Im 100% from my back injury and can start to train like a powerlifter again.

No I dont think im gonna try it yet. Im gonna stick to my gameplan, and maybe in the future ill give it a try. If you decide to do it please let me know, id really like to hear about it. Sorry I didnt get back to you earlier, I havent been on the computer in like 4 days.

Freak19

Thats cool man, I dont know if Im going to try it or not. Im taking this week off to rest from all the bodybuilding shit Ive been doing and next week going to start back on the powerlifting!!! I havent touched the bench press in about 15 weeks because it hurt my back to do it for a while after my injury so all Ive done is incline dumbell presses. Im sure Ill be weak as fuck on bench for a while but hopefull muscle memory will kick in. I may go ahead and decide to do the Coan routine again, Im using this week to plan ahead and decide. What does your bench day(s) look like? I like hearing new ideas since its been a while since Ive been able to train like I want to.

Its hard to say how my bench days go. I switch light & heavy every other week. On my heavy days I work up to Doubles or triples, but when I say heavy i mean heavy. on my light days Ill do about 80% for sets of 10 but that is usually 1-2 sets. And if I feel like it ill go down in weight and just rep it out on both heavy and light. My max bench is 455.
ex. for heavy
anything between 405-430
ex. for light
always 365 because im struggling at 9 reps and I want 10 so as soon as I do, then ill go up 5lbs or 10lbs

Freak19

Thanks bro, sounds good. DO you hit the boards and shit on thursday too?

No I do my boards on fridays, cause I bench on tuesdays. I tried bands last friday. I used the blue bands from the top. I worked up to kinda a heavy max, and then worked up to a max rep on the 4 board. This friday im gonna use the green bands from the bottom. And see how that goes. Do you do any board work?

I do use boards but I dont use the bands or chains or anything. I use periodization on my bench day do it goes from light to moderate to heavy. On Thursday I do either 2 board for a single, 4 board for a single, closegrip bench press for a triple, closegrip incline for a triple, or dumbell bench press for 20's. In all honesty I seem to get the best results from closegrip bench and incline as well as just benching once per week also works well. My typical monday would be like this:

Bench Press
Tricep Pushdowns
Front Delt Raises
Dips

Thursday would look like this:

2 or 4 board or closegrip flat or incline press or dumbell press
Tricep Extensions
Side Delt Raises
Maybe some abs

Thats just a general outline. It may not look like this for a while until I get my body adjusted to benching again.

Yeah I just started using bands to see how they feel. Im borrowing them from Jimmydean and PLJAY. But before the I started the bands My fridays would always be like this:
3 and 4 board presses
Closegrip bench: 5-6reps
Nosebreakers: 6-8reps
kickbacks: 8-10reps
pressdowns: 10-15reps or Dips with just my bodyweight for reps

Straightbar curls: 6-8reps
DB alternate curls: 6-8reps
Concentration curls: 8-10reps
Hammers: 8-10

Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls for reps

I know it seems like alot, but I train like a bodybuilder. And thats how I feel, that helps me. Some of my tri and bi exercises would change up a little just so I wont get use to doing the same thing over again. These are just my favorite exercises for arms.

Your routine sounds ok to me. Hell Ill never try and tell anyone there routine sucks if it seems to be working for them and from your numbers yours seem do just what it is supposed to do. I have finally decided what mine is going to be like. Its going to be similar to a bodybuilders but focused around making my bench better. I am going to only have one day for bench and I am not going to do any board work for a while. Although it does help my body has been out of it for so long I am going to wait until I am better conditioned for it. I just wish I could squat and dead still but I am not going to risk hurting my back again. LOL I guess Im a pussy but I will be bench press only from now on in my meets.

Hey theres nothing wrong with training like a bodybuilder. I do. I also think that training this kinda makes you stronger for powerlifting. Ive been training this way for 5 years, and when I started powerlifting 2 years ago all I added in was my deadlifts. And I add my assistance work as I went along.

Top Bottom