Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is form overated???

psychedout

I watch videos like The Unbelievable, and see Ronnie using a lot of momentum while doing bb rows, or db laterals, and it has got me thinking.

Is form really that important??I mean providing your not bouncing bench presses off of your chest, can you tax a muslce even more using so called poor form??

Just look at how the old timers like Arnie did seated cable rows for example-- momentum gallore. And you can't argue with his results.

I would like to here opinions on the business of form, and how you feel about it and why.

I like to use good form for safety reasons. Injuries occur too easily without it. I actually was thinking the same thing when watching Ronnie doing his workouts. Those T-Bar rows.... I watched Yates today for the first time and he has good form but realised ALL big guys CAN`T go full range of motion. That`s another point to b looked at. ROM is also overrated to an extent.

If I`m doing a set to past failure I will cheat to get the weight up on the last two reps and slowly lower the weight. That`s about it.

I do the best form I can while still having the lift be "comfortable" due to my size I can't do some of the text book form exercise becasue they impinge on my joints. So basically use the most appropriate form for you that keeps you from hurting yourself but don't get caught up in the so called perfect form.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Good question, Psychedout.

I'm a stickler for clean form, and have been more or less for the last 11 years.

However, I think if you're adding weight to the bar and you're not cheating THAT damn much, you're fulfilling progression--and progression's all you need. The only time cheating really bothers me is when it's ALL someone can do to lift more weight.

All else I'd caution against is extrapolating what works for Ronnie = what works for the rest of us. Ronnie was a genetic freak before he ever heard of D-bol, and now that he's fully loaded, his methods might not be ideal for those of us 9 or less on the 1-10 genetics/drugs scale.

Yes... as long as what you do is safe and you do it consistently, then whatever. Just make sure you never cheat on the eccentric (such as dropping the weight), because that's what causes the actual growth.

If you want to real heavy, then yes, it's critical.

You want to to do a million reps at a lighter weight, maybe not so critical.

If you're not intruding on safety. If you want to cheat curl, no problems in my opinion. However, to cheap and bounce a bench as forementioned, then yes form is important. This is because you'll break a rib.

God knows what'll happen if you go ahead and bounce around with squats and deads, so that goes without saying...

Isolation is very understandable.
Compounds not so much (except for militaries, I'd say... not as bad)

Bench, Squat, Deads, Oly Lifts, SLDL/RDL, Good Mornings - Use good form always

Curls, Upright Rows, Extensions, Kickbacks, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions, Hammer Curls, Wrist Curls, Heel Raises, Pull-ups, Rows, Shrugs - not necessary.

WalkingBeast said:
Vastly overrated

I don't want to come off wrong here so I'll tread lightly. Perhaps this feeling that form is overrated is the reason why your back isn't healing. I know you like to go heavy on deads and form is absolutely critical on a lift like deads. Here you sit with a nagging back injury. Perhaps it's time you rethink your approach on form?

Top Bottom