Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is form overated???

Nonerz said:
the heaviest weights recorded were not lifted with bad form. but alot of misses are created by bad form.

try twisting your body on a 500+ lb bench press and watch what happens. see what happens if you get out of your groove on a 600lb squat. things happen faster than you can imagine/correct for.

bottom line: stick with good form and progress strengthwise accordingly.

if you want to "burn in" those extra reps to take the muscle further, do a drop set or partial.

Great post!! Good to see your still around! Hows trianing been?

Exactly, train your muscles & NOT your ego!

S

mmm, i somewhat agree with the always train with good form, but i don't, and i get results in my size and strength. i think you guys are right about keeping good form on deads, squats, benches, but other exercises lend themselves well to cheating. ever tried superheavy laterals? damn do they work well. or rowing with a little swing, like ronnie does? that works well too. i've tried staying superstrict, and i didn't make any good strength gains. if i cheat a bit i make progress. personally, i don't care if others cheat or not, and i say the only reason this is such a touchy subject is because

a) people feel angered when someone states a poundage on an exercise they cheated on (to which i say, who the hell cares what someone says they can do, worry about yourself)

b) people automatically assume that when someone is lifting heavy and cheating that they are only doing it to satisfy their egos! come on guys, let's not always jump to such quick conclusions. once again, who the hell cares if someone is cheating just to satisfy their ego? nevertheless, i cheat and i don't think it's just to satisfy my ego, it is because i a) love that feeling of handling a little heavier weight and having to concentrate hard on what i'm doing b) making progress in my strength, which, as previously stated, progresses much more quickly when i put some cheating in. i see people using great form in the gym never progressing for years; meanwhile, i am in the corner, continually making strength gains and lifting bigger weights.
Finally, i wonder why some people are so quick to jump down "cheater's" throats and claim that they are only working their egos, while neglecting to mention the "flexers" who spend more time checking themselves out in the mirror flexing their abs/chest/bis/tris/shoulders/EGO!!!!!!!!! everyone lifts for different reasons, and being overly concerned with what those reasons are for others is pety and immature. Please don't take this as a flame to anyone, because i know i've been annoyed with others for their reasons for lifting too. i say, to each his own (don't you just love cliches?). go to the gym, focus on your own development, and don't worry about others. later.

Form= prevents injuries, Less injuries=more training time, less rehab=quality training time, more quality training time=more growth

Nonerz said:
the heaviest weights recorded were not lifted with bad form. but alot of misses are created by bad form.

try twisting your body on a 500+ lb bench press and watch what happens. see what happens if you get out of your groove on a 600lb squat. things happen faster than you can imagine/correct for.

bottom line: stick with good form and progress strengthwise accordingly.

if you want to "burn in" those extra reps to take the muscle further, do a drop set or partial.

oops. that was me. i was over at nonerz'ssess house last night posting. gotta remember to log her off otherwise she could get in trouble. hehehe

shes doing alright. busy with work. planning on doing a PL meet in april, so we are getting ready for that. (well she's doing the work):)

bignate73 said:

oops. that was me. i was over at nonerz'ssess house last night posting. gotta remember to log her off otherwise she could get in trouble. hehehe

shes doing alright. busy with work. planning on doing a PL meet in april, so we are getting ready for that. (well she's doing the work):)

:FRlol: :FRlol: :FRlol: Nice. Best of luck with the meet!!

squatpukesquat:

here are your reasons:

flexers: no one cares about these jokers because they generally arent talking about lifts.

cheaters: if someone earnestly gets a lift with strict form, they earned it. if someone is actually talking about a lift they do, but they lose 10-50lbs if they get strict, where is the ego now? some people are very proud of their lifts, earned every lb lifted. though it is an individual thing, its also a rite of passage. if you earn a lift, you dont like to see someone come along and claim the same lift with crap form. so, yeah, i guess its a pride thing.

I agree with big Nate; some of the hunchbacks in my gym give me shit because I only curl (I rarely do arm work any way) between 90 & 100 pounds.

But I do it back against the walll, scapula retracted & depressed, head up, elbows locked to my side & drag the bar up the front of my body.

They do 135 + hunched forward swinging the weight using almost 100% shoulders & low back. - these are also the same jackasses who squat, row, shrug & deadlift in the Smith machine and think their actually accomplishing something other then providing me with ammunition for more jokes & real life examples of everything not to do in the gym

I use these neanderthals to increase my training clientele by providing live demos of bad posture and injury formation.

I just laugh & tell them when they can stand upright come & see me for a real workout!

Lord Suston had an excellent summary of why form is the key!

S

ok big nate and supreme, i can see how you'd get pissed if some asshole in the gym was bugging you 'cause he can purportedly lift more than you, yet they squirm their way to get the weight up. that, understandly, would piss me off too. i've never encountered that type of shit in a gym, and I would hate to have to listen to someone spout off about their lifts, regardless of whether it was "clean" or not. personally, if someone asks me what i can lift, i say to them "well, how many reps are you talking? and what type of form? (if they're asking about squats, i'll say) how low are you talking now?" generally, people asking me about the weight i can lift (which, i don't readily disclose because i don't give two fucks who knows what i can do) become so tired of my questions to them that they stop asking before receiving a definite answer. I may be proud of the hard work I put in to my weight training/any other facet of my life, but I am not proud of the weight I lift, or of my appearance. Why, you may ask? Well, the way i see it, everyone has different genetics, and some are better "equipped" scientifically to acquire a greater looking and performing body than others. therefore, my performance and appearance rank extremely modestly on the hierarchy of human being bodily performances/appearances, so I would be distraught when making such comparisons; rather, by gauging my work ethic and nothing else, I concern myself with the one true aspect of my life which is entirely within my control. as for the jackoffs who you guys mentioned in your posts, i say to them "if you think you're bad, go look at a powerlifter lift, and then go watch ronnie coleman flex. not so bad now, are you?"

Yes, form is critical. Absolutly critical. You know it is. Think about what you are in the gym for - and this goes for the PLs on every day except competition day.

You don't go to swing the most weight, you go to get stronger. You get stronger by tearing the muscle fibers. You tear the muscle fibers best by not cheating, by not using 'momentum.' If you do that, you are wasting your damn time and money.

Plus there is the additional strain that using mo' can cause, and possible injury due to moving the weight incorrectly.

It's just stupid, no matter how you cut it. I'm really surprised by all the answers to the contrary here (I just skimmed page one).

Oh - and WHY do the pros do it in the videos? Because, there *is* a video camera there and they want to look good. So that means moving more weight and moving it faster than usual. Camera's make people do stupid stuff. Just watch a trash TV show or a televised trial in LA.

Top Bottom