Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Forearm Pain!

G Lapagola

I am the only one that has cronic forearm pain ever since I started working out my biceps really hard? Could I be doing the exercises wrong or is the pain that I have in my forearms normal?

Hey G. I'm a Newbie to this Site but have been lifting for a few years. I had the same problem that you are describing when I first started lifting. I think what you need to work into your Routine are Reverse Curls using a Curl Bar (or a Straight Bar as a second choice).

The condition on your Forearm is kind of like having Shin Splints on your legs. The Bicep that you are working really hard is pulling the Muscle in one direction, if you don't do any excercises to balance the Muscle back out (Reverse Curls) then eventually it will cause the pain that you are describing when working Bi's.

But, this is just MHO. I'm sure some of the Vets on here will respond with some good info also.

I have to agree with doinitright. I have this pain occasionally now, but when I first started it was really hurting. I think my problem initially was the fact I was trying to show off and do heavy weight. Try warming up gradually raising the weight. And also incorporate some forearm exercises.

I had exactly the same problem, try to do some forearm work b4, it helped me wonders, now i hardley get the pain at all!

newbie here. started training really hard about a year ago. was fine until early this year when i started having pain similar to yours. had it checked and turns out my radial nerve is pinched. doctor prescribed rest and physical therapy. if i'd let it go though and continued training hard, it could have meant surgery, which would have me laid up for much longer. so it's worth having it checked.

Some sites I found, interesting on the subject:

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/arms99.txt

http://www.wj.js.cn/grwy/girlfree/english/art/e-arm97.htm

http://www.cyberpump.com/qna/octnov00hard.html

http://starbulletin.com/2001/01/31/sports/karony.html

For some it might even be tendonitis:

http://www.destinationrx.com/healthy/info.asp?Healthy_Info_id=232

Or worse for some others....

If you get this pain, do not do curls! Lay low for a while.
Try to start working the forearms and wrists. Then use light weights.

If your pain is serious you should see a physician.

In my case when I got this pain, it was pretty severe and I probably should have went to the doctor! It hurt in my forearm area even when I took my hand to carry grocerys or doing very simple things such as pushing my head to the side.

Ignoring this pain I foolishly thought the pain would subside eventually, even I kept lifting heavy, it became worse and worse. So I finally decided to quit curls, the
only curls I do now are reverse curls and hammer curls, where I do not get this pain.

Even after, I have this strange bump (maybe inflammation?) by my wrist, next to the palm. And it hurts just a little if I push down on it really hard... (?)

thanks for all the great info!!! I am going to add a little more warm up for my biceps. And also it was mentioned to do forearms before bis, is this good to do??? I thought you were supposed to do primary muscle groups first (bis) and then forearms. Or in my case with the pain that I have should I do forearms first??? I will let yall know what works and what doesnt, hopefully this is not serious b/c over the past few months I have become obsesed with working out, and will not stop...EVER.

ps- double thanks to Teslet for the articles.

Last edited:
Hey, I have this problem also but have change my routine around so give this a try and see if it helps. Since I work back first my biceps are already pre-exausted.....

Hammer Curls - 3 sets to failure
Concerntration Curls - 3 sets, first to failure and the last 2 I add a couple of negatives

If you feel like you need to add more try some reverse curls.

I haven't had any pain at all doing this and get one hell of a pump and some soreness the next day.

Good Luck

hey lapagola ....... with regards to the forearm, let me write a little more... i did it half hearted last time ......

I also had the problem, it got so bad when i opened doors i would b in pain .. i dont know why???

Anyways, What i found to help is first do some light work on the forearm before you start curling..... call it a warm up. I always do this now ... but when i work my forearm directly i do it on a diff day to my bicept. Still, do your forearm warms ups, say curl & reverse curl ... Fairly light, enuff to warm it up. Next try hammer curls, and then start with your normall curls. I have found this helps alot... I also target my forearm directly .... i normally do this on my chest/tricept day... by doing this direct work, i find i can really focus on it. I have been doing this for a while now, and i hardly ever get that pain anymore, well at least not like i used to..... try it out, and tell me what happens i will b interested to hear. However if this continues it is highley advisable to see someone... u dont want to hurt yourself. Hope this helps
Deepest Regards
Omid

Top Bottom