Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

footwear...?

DZLS

are there a better pair of shoes to use for training...?

are there specialty shoes to wear for doing squats / deads...?

i normally wear basketball shoes to train, but am considering something else...

what makes the difference between the shoes...?

Olympic weightlifting shoes are the best thing I've ever purchased for lifting. Thye elevate the heel somewhat, and the heel is made of wood so there is no compression while squatting. I think these things are worth noticable poundage on my squat. I wear 'em for everything but deads. If I'm gonna deadlift I just take my shoes off.

Glenn Pendlay sells Oly shoes pretty cheap (something like $80 shipped I think).

DZLS said:
are there a better pair of shoes to use for training...?

are there specialty shoes to wear for doing squats / deads...?

i normally wear basketball shoes to train, but am considering something else...

what makes the difference between the shoes...?

#1 most important thing is to wear something comfortable. :)

I prefer using Crosstrainers because they have a bit wider base and allow more range of motion in the ankles for calf raises and squats. BB shoes should work fine too. I've seen guys using wrestling shoes which may give added foot strength since wrestling shoes have very little padding and require a little more work to keep your balance/stability. But you also have the best ROM in the ankle and toes.

Yes there are special shoes you can get for squatting that have like a wooden heal to give more stability when you go down, but I've never seen or used these before.

chucks for a wide stance squat or deadlifts. i wear them for general gym use. i have a pair of OLY shoes too, that I use for oly lifts (snatch, cleans, high bar squats).

Why no shoes for deads?
I wear cross trainers for everything. Tried basketball hightops but they sucked when doing calves.

the problem with cross trainers is the heel, you still have one. for deadlifts it wouldnt be advisable.

well, i can take my shoes off at my gym for deads...

why DON'T i want that heel for deads...?

You don't want a heel for deads because it pitches you forward - deads should be 'pushed' through your heel. I prefer to be shoeless for deads because any thickness from the shoe is extra distance the bar has to travel. Wrestling shoes work well for this if you can't take your shoes off, but wrestling shoes are a BITCH to put on. I just slip my shoes off, do my set, then put 'em back on - no harm done.

Seriously, don't waste your money on cross trainers if you're specifically looking for weightlifting footwear; it'd be like putting all-season tires on a car you plan to drive at the track - sure you CAN do it, but they're not the best tool for the job. If you do BB/Oly-type squats get Oly shoes (and they're great for OHP, RDLs, pretty much any lift done standing other than deads really). If you do lots of wide PL squats get Chuck's. Or get both. But as it pertains to weightlifting, crosstrainers are nowhere near the best choice. The idea is that you want good 'contact' with the floor. Crosstrainers are designed partly to absorb shock, which is good for running but bad for supporting a heavy weight and transmitting nervous sytem feedback to the brain.

is there anything somewhere in the middle...?

i don't want to have to change shoes at the gym, and don't want to be driving to the gym in clogs... ;)

Top Bottom