Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Focussing on core, compound lifts

Sim882

I have been doing weights for only about 7 months, and whilst have made decent progress (I'm only 5'6 and 68 kg but started the year with terrible 55kg bench press, and now can do 100kg which I know is not great but an improvement), realise that the routine I'm following is not particularly recommended (basically, I do 4 days per week, with a focus on 1-2 muscle groups per day, and do a shit load of isolation type exercises, but do compound exercises (I find provided I eat lots of carbs, I have good endurance).

My concern is that if I switch to the recommended routines on this forum, which basically prescribe squats 3 days per week and as well as other compound exercises, I won't be able to run on my legs or play tennis on my rest days because of the muscle soreness that I find after my leg days. Will the next day muscle soreness problem eventually go if I do squats 3 days per week. I have only incorporated leg exercises in my routine for last 2 months.

Monday:
Chest (4 sets of bench press for incline, flat and decline; 4 sets of incline flys; 4 sets of machine flys; 4 sets of butterfly curls)
Bisceps (4 sets of barbel curls, , hammer curls and concentration curls).

Tuesday: (back and abs)
4 sets abs (depends on what I feel like doing)
6 sets of weighed chins; 4 sets of narrow chins; 4 sets of bent upright row; 4 sets of deadlifts; 4 sets one arm rows; 4 sets of seated row; 4 sets hyperextension

Thursday: (shoulder and tricep)
4 sets of shoulder press DB; 4 sets of lateral raise; 4 sets of upright row; 4 sets dumbell front raises; 4 sets of weighted dips; 4 sets skull crusher

Friday (legs)
6 sets squats; 4 sets hack squats; 6 sets lunges (front and side); 4 sets of extensions; 4 sets of hamstring curls; 4 sets straight dead lifts; 4 sets calf raises.

Friday fucks my legs for 1-2 days

I would say squats 3 times a week is over kill. especially if your running etc.

Are you doing 4 sets of flat plus 4 sets of incline plus 4 sets of decline bench presses? That's the way it reads to me.

You could use a change up in your routine, you do to many flys and straight leg deads on leg day?

I'm not a big fan of training any body part more than twice a week. I just don't think you'll recover fast enough. If you need help I could fix up your routine a bit for you and I'm sure someone will chime in on what they think you should do too. LOL.

I find absolutely no problems squatting 3 days a week. First 2 weeks are uncomfortable, but no worse than originally starting out in the gym. Unless I really push my 1rm%, I don't get sore the next day.

Depends what your goals are. strength, mass, and athletic ability, most recommended routines are awesome. BB mass.....I don't really know....trained like them for awhile, never gained much other than endurance, I'm sure others have better advice there.

If you can sqaut 3 times per weeek, you are not squating properly or going way to light. I would do a 5x3 or 5x5 and pick one compound movement per muscle group - lots of posts on this. Also, you are doing way to much volume. Pick a compound movement (bench press, squat, deadlift etc) for your 5x5 then 1 or 2 other movements for the muscle group. For legs something like this:

5x5 squat
2x8 SLDL
2x8 calf raises

If you are putting your all into your squats, you will not be able to do much more than this.

Top Bottom