Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Floor Press, Board Press, and Bench Press

sk*

Okay, so here's my understanding of the three:

The floor press is the movement from when your arms are parallel to the ground at the buttom and the up position is lockout.

The board press is more of the last few inches of the "bench press" movement.

The bench press is the full movement from buttom position (bar resting on your chest) to lockout.

Am I getting it right?
Can I use a power rack for both floor press and board press?
With board press the bars would just be higher right (compared to floor press)?

Wouldn't it be beneficial to add a movement that would work strictly on the buttom movement of the "bench press" exercise?
I notice that the hardest part with me is the buttom movement and not so much the lockout portion, would floor press be enough here?

Thanks so much, i'm having a real hard time grasping some of the powerlifting concepts ... all new to me. :)

-sk

sk*, we use a rotation of top to bottom movements....boards do NOT mean just high boards.

Floor press-->one board-->two board-->three board-->four board-->five board--> low lockouts-->high lockouts-->start over...

Our crew never does a full ROM bench for max effort. We do full rom on speed day, and that's about it. We do board presses, pin presses and floor work. It can all be done in the rack.

Reactions: sk*
spatts said:
sk*, we use a rotation of top to bottom movements....boards do NOT mean just high boards.

Floor press-->one board-->two board-->three board-->four board-->five board--> low lockouts-->high lockouts-->start over...

Our crew never does a full ROM bench for max effort. We do full rom on speed day, and that's about it. We do board presses, pin presses and floor work. It can all be done in the rack.

Cool, makes sence.

One question though, do you guys lockout no matter what board you use?

Just to make sure I am getting it right, lockout is when you lock your arms at the top portion of the bench movement, right?

Also, for the board presses, I can just use a power rack right? Seems that it would do the trick, but wonder if there are any added benefits with a board.

Thank you for putting up with my questions. :D

-sk

Spatts (or anyone) do you have pics or a vid of floor presses being performed? I cant see tem in any ofthe links in your sticky...

Thanks sk*. I thought your point about about working the botton portion of the lift in isolation was interesting, seems to be less talk of that, but seems to me where a lot of people have their sticking point.

FatRat said:
Thanks sk*. I thought your point about about working the botton portion of the lift in isolation was interesting, seems to be less talk of that, but seems to me where a lot of people have their sticking point.

In the bench sticky it suggests doing "illegal wide grip bench" and strengthen lats, pecs, as well as learn how to recruit lats properly.

A lot of it is confusing to me though. :(

-sk

Hey bud, my week point is off my chest as well. The best exercise i can think of to increase that is the floor press. It builds amazing starting strength. This means your weakness is your should shoulders..... and the floor press helps strengthen those.

i hope that helps some....... but yes. i do my floor press and board press in the rack.

X

Top Bottom