Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Floor Press, Board Press, and Bench Press

Seems strange to use Floor Press where the bar comes half way down to the chest from lockout to help with getting the bar off the chest? Why is this better than doing partials from the chest raising it maybe 10 - 12"?

st8k, I just meant lockout from 4-6 inches away vs 2-4, etc...depends on where you put the pins.

A pin press is when you use the pins in the power rack to start/stop the bar at a certain height...just like you would use boards. :)

Depending on your forearm length, it's possible (as in my case) for the floor press to be HIGHER than the 2 board press.

You can also do floor presses at any height, and to any height. The floor just takes the legs out.

"Lockout," to me, is showing control in a completed position...I don't mean hard locking the joints. Lockouts are moves that train the very top portion of the bench.

muscledog95 said:
whats a pin press?

I believe this is when you use a power rack with the pins (support bars on the sides) at a level above your chest. So when you do the press movement you can't come all the way down, and it works the middle or top part of the press.

Exodus said:
Hey bud, my week point is off my chest as well. The best exercise i can think of to increase that is the floor press. It builds amazing starting strength. This means your weakness is your should shoulders..... and the floor press helps strengthen those.

i hope that helps some....... but yes. i do my floor press and board press in the rack.

X

Hey bro,

My shoulders are actually my strong part (as I can behind neck press nearly as much as I can bench) and triceps are pretty good too. I think my biggest problem is the pectorials itself along with the lats. :(

I'm definetely gonna try floor presses though. :)

-sk

spatts said:
Speed and lats...

Yea, I defenitely think you are right. I only recently added dynamic workouts and my lats aren't so good (as I am realizing lately).

-sk

The reason I feel a floor press is good for developing the bottom of the bench is b/c when I do them I pause for a second with my tri's flush with the ground, then when I start the movement I have no leverage from my tri's so I am forced to start it with chest and shoulders.

For those of you who said you have the most trouble at the bottom of your bench, you should think about working on your form, learning to drive with my legs, arch, keep my lats tight, bench lower, and press to my feet put a tremendous amount of weight on my Bench almost overnight.

So partials at the lower end of the movement will not help get the bar off the chest as much as floor presses??

IronLion said:
For those of you who said you have the most trouble at the bottom of your bench, you should think about working on your form, learning to drive with my legs, arch, keep my lats tight, bench lower, and press to my feet put a tremendous amount of weight on my Bench almost overnight.

I'll try this, although I have a hard time understanding what you guys mean by keeping lats tight?

Thanks. :)

-sk

Top Bottom