Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Flexibility

ZZuluZ

[Sorry for the many threads recently, guys]

Lately I've been doing some thinking about adding some stretching to my routines. I know next to nothing about stretching which is why I'm enquiring about it.

I feel it could really help my lifts, especially my squat. I can squat 200 pounds, but even with NO WEIGHT I feel really tightness when I squat all the way down. I can barely touch my toes and I'm only 5'7.

I'm willing to spend my off days doing stretching and stretching during, before or after workouts.

Any help is really appreciated. Do any of you guys stretch, btw?

Thx,

-Zulu

Stretching

Stretch on your off days and after your workouts. If you want you could add stretching as extra workouts. Don't stretch too much before a workout. Also, you don't want to push too hard while stretching at first. It's easy to tear something or pull it by trying to go too far. Also, don't bounce your stretches.

If you want to start, pick a few stretches and hold them for 30 seconds. Do this 3 or so times a week. Try to increase flexibility gradually.

Pick a stretch for every muscle that you can think of. You don't have to really push them...just stretch them regularly. If you are interested in doing the splits...then you will need to push them. For basic agility...just keep them mobile.

B True

Does have any websites illustrating the best stretches? Or any basic stretch routines I can basically just follow?

Thx,

-Zulu

being able to touch your toes is good, but you don't want to go nuts on the stretching, and never stretch before lifting. I mean never do it.

Pavel Tsatsouline wrote a book called "Relax Into Stretch" probably a good book on stretching. That guy is a stud.

I am serious about the not stretching before lifting. It will ruin your squat. So will being able to do the splits. I say this from personal experience. I have been able to do the splits since I was about 14 years old. During my years as a competitive full contact karate fighter, I overstretched my hips, and tore up my shoulders and hamstrings to the point that it has made powerlifting more difficult than it already would be. I squat more now than ever, but I am less flexible than i have been since I was 13. With a warm up, I can still do the splits, but for years I could drop into the splits at any time, either way.

Proper squat form will cause you to feel tightness in the bottom of the squat even without weight. This is true in your hip area even without any weight.

B

Very interesting Brian...thx for the info.

So I guess my unflexibility isn't really a problem then? Do you recommend I still do it, and it woul be beneficial to my lifts?

-Zulu

i recommend you do some stretching.. for me, doing deep squats and heavy sldl , made me more flexible.. just by doing those i was able to go down and touch my toes easily now.. and since then my lifts have gone up. Flexibility ,im sure, will help to a certain degree, but if you get to a point where you are too flexible, then it may hold a negative effect on your lifting. SO imho i say doing stretching constistantly, but dont over due it and try to become as flexible as say, bruce lee.

i can do the splits and i have 32 inch thighs at 265lbs and 5'10

but i can barly move my shoulders to get the seatbelt when i get in the car.

go fig.

X

Funny you say that Exodus, I can do the splits, although I am not nearly as big as you are, like 225 at 5'7", but I have a Hell of a time getting to the seatbelt. I can put both palms flat on the floor, but I can't hardly reach my left delt with my right hand.

B

Top Bottom