Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Flat Dumbbell Press the same as Bench Press ?

Pretend you have a pair of dumbbells in your hands and are laying on a flat bench. Now go through the motions.

Dumbbells allow you to go further down and stretch more.

They are better , with the bar you control it only from the start and finish position. With dumbells you need to control them from all angles. This requires more muscle control and auxilary streangth which gives better gains.

Also flat bar bench puts your shoulder joint in a vulnerable position , dumbells allow a more natural motion.

Hmmmmm...not for me. It is true that dumbells allow for a greater range of motion, but they do not allow you to lift as heavy as you otherwise could with a bar. I found that when I stopped messing around with dumbells and concentrated on doing very heavy benches in strict form, I grew much better. I got much stronger and fuller. I started doing dumbells exclusively for awhile and when I came back to the bench, I was benching the same thing I did before I started using dumbells exclusively!! As soon as I began to bench again, I got my strength back and began to fill out much more.

This is just my experience though.

-TG

Most gyms, like mine only have DB's up to 100 lbs. so regardless of whether they are better or not, you may not be able to get an effective workout from them doing flat presses. Learn to love the bar for flat presses, b/c chances are, you'll outgrow the DB's (or have to change gyms, which may not be practical)

Top Bottom