Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Flat bench vs. decline bench

witkowsd

I read that there is no need to do flat bench but instead incline is much better. Should I replace flat with decline - right now I am doing incline db press and incline flys with flat bench db press. Or instead of decline add the pec dec machine.:confused:

In my opinion, there is nothing better for chest development than the flat bench press. Using either barbells or dumbells, it is a core excercise and should be the center piece of your chest workout. I think it is ok to "cycle " flats in and out with inclines but they should never be omitted forever in favor of inclines. Like I said , this is just my opinion and perhaps there is some scientific study out there, and I am sure there is, that says inclines recruit more muscle and are better for you etc.etc. but I will keep flats in my schedule.

Peace :fro:

I would have to agree with Punch, with the dips instead of decline.

There are two schools of thought. One stated by st8k_lover about flat bench being the core exercise for your chest. The other is focusing on incline to get nice upper, round pecks if you have a problem with that " Drooping peck" look.

NDGirl

I personally think that declines place less stress on the pectoral tendon, but more on the sternal area and front delts.

To tell you the truth, I am not to fond of either movement. If I had to choose I would use decline presses.

do what works for you. If flat bench doesn't improve the muscle do incline more. If that doesn't work do something else. Learn to adapt to your own needs.

jabs

99% of the time , people do the decline press wrong anyway. Most bring the bar down to the highest point on the chest, which in the decline position is the zyfoid prosses, below your pec line where the sturnum meets.
This is incorrect, but does allow you to use more weight. The bar should be lowered to your upper chest area , say 2-4 inches above your nipples, this puts the chest under a lot of stress

Top Bottom