Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fitness model?

ryno9000

Not sure where was best to post this - but wondered if any of you guys have experience.

Recently I was approached by a fairly reputable agency in my city to do fitness modeling. At first it was a blow to my ego, as I considered myself a big mean bodybuilding monster, yet fitness models tend to not be the look I am going for. But anyway, I guess I'm more Abercrombie looking that MD afterall...

Anyway - before I can get work, I have to have a lesson in modeling and a portfolio - both cost money. The agency is not the one charging me, they make no money from me to buy professional photography for my portfolio. They are commission based, meaning they don't make money unless I work and make money. Half day shoots are $500, and full day $1,000+

Of course they make it sound sweet and easy, but I don't want to jump into shelling out around $2k to "get started" and end up not getting shit for work.

Does anyone have any experience as a fitness model? What are the biggest questions I should be asking? Am I retarded? Help me not get fucked over - I'd love the exposure and opportunity but don't want to be naive.

Wisdom tells me that if they know you "got the look" they want, they'll pay your way. I've never been involved in acting or modeling, but I have done plenty of business with the movie, TV, and music video production with renting and sales of props. If they want something, they'll get it. I have all of my weird cars registered with an agent for films, and I get called now & then to use one. There are agencies who charge a fee to keep your things on a database, and those are a scam just as much as the acting/modeling schools.

Bottom line: If a scout sees you and wants you, he/she will come up and hire you. I was driving my ugly brown '70 Buick around Culver City in 1995 or so, and a guy from Sony Pictures chased me and bought it from me for 4x what I thought it was worth. They used it in a Danny DeVito film. Right place/right time..... I've never had luck like that with anything I have registered with the agent... A few days rent every year or so, but no big hits like the Buick sale.

Charles

Top Bottom