Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

first post... help on bill starr's 5x5

vinnyxgunz

i have been lurking on here for about 1-2 weeks reading and stuff but i thought i would write my first post. i started bill starr's 5x5 program this week and i have never been so sore in my life (never really did deadlifts much). just a little information i'm 22 years old and have been lifting more or less for 8 years. i'm 5'9 155 and my max's are about 250 for bench and 300 for squat. i only take protein shakes and a multivitamin - creatine bothered my weak stomach. i want to improve my calves and lower/oblique abs more than anything else as overall i am pretty happy with the rest. what do you guys do for abs and calves with this workout? like i said i want a great ab workout with emphasis on the lower/oblique areas so i get that perfect 6-pack. i also have basketball calves - i have a nice tennis ball at the top, but below that it's real skinny there into my ankles. quick story - i was doing a public speech in high school in front of about 100 people and questions were to be asked after i was finished and a smartass friend of mine raised his hand and asked, "how do your calves hold up your upper body?" and all 100 people laughed. it was funny, but i was a little embarrassed haha oh high school... i just want to do this right sorry if i'm asking a lot of questions but it's great to be on here - i also have never done a 5x5 program before.

edit - i posted 2 pics for the hell of it

I can't see the pics too good as I am non-plat, but, damn, re-weigh yourself, lol, seriously, that's a thick 155 for 5'9" You look good, man.

About abs, it is just an issue of diet, and lower abs tend to be genetic....same deal with calves, you sound like you have high insertions, if there is no calf muscle lower on the leg, there isn't much you can do.....but I wouldn't sweat that crap, brother, you look stout........consider starting a 5x5 journal too.

BiggT said:
if there is no calf muscle lower on the leg, there isn't much you can do
Soleous muscle :)

... remember I'm working on my Ginormous one's? LOL (fyi for others: that's a joke and the title of my log).

Not many of us are fine honing our ab muscles around here... hopefully some one that's done it can post up for ya.... being able to see EVERYTHING and have shredded abs is all diet... but bringing out some detail and filling gaps i'm not sure... that's advance bodybuilding stuff i'd say.

The soleous muscles are worked more specifically with the knee is bent seated calve raises (NOT standing)... You can try to bombard them with high frequency, and serious weight to bring them up.

i'll host the pics for you... you look friggin' jacked for 155 dude, lol... 5'9" i'd say 170 at least... but hey, doesn't matter, u look sick man

annnnnnnnnnd... for non-plats...

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

it's funny how my whole life people thought i weighed around 170... worked out for wrestling in high school though. i played basketball 3 times a week all summer so i'm more cut now that pic was taken in may. in the program with the pulldowns, biceps, and triceps, do you guys go 5x5 with them too? what do you guys do with the hyperextensions (it just says 2 sets - how many reps and with how much weight do you do - i did 2x10 with a 20 lb dumbbell i don't know if that's right). I need to find a killer ab workout to use with this 5x5 but so far i'm pumped.

read MM107's log he does some crazy ab stuff!

No, only do what's listed... you'll do 3 sets of 8 reps - 1 exercise for biceps (same for triceps on Day 3) ... hypers (do whatever weight you can, i started with bodyweight cuz my spinal erectors sucked...)...

monday
squats 185 185 185 185 185 (ATF)
inclined bench 155 165 175 185 195 (flat bench bothers my right shoulder/RC)
rows 110 120 130 140 150 (palms in or out?)
4 sets of weighted sit-ups - did decline sit-ups with 25 lb plate 2 sets of 25, then did twists left and right at peak with 25 lb plate 2 sets of 15
2 sets hyperextensions - 2 sets of 10 with 20 lb dumbbell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
only real question is do i go palms in or out for the rows. the sit-ups and hyperextensions look fine right?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

wednesday
squats 160 160 160 160 160
deadlift 185 185 185 185 185
military 125 125 125 125 125
wide-grip pulldowns 165 165 165 (i did this 3x8 was that wrong? is it even wrong to be doing pulldowns?)
3 sets of situps - decline w/o weight 1 set of 25, leg raises 1 set of 25, decline sit-ups 1 set of 15 to the left then 15 to the right
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
military is standing right? and i did 3x8 on the pulldowns i don't know if i was supposed to go 5x5 and i don't know if it's better to do a different workout.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday
TBD

this doesn't sound like the Starr 5x5 ... i'm in week 6 of it.

Did u plug in your values into an excel spread sheet?

The lifts are supposed to be progressive, no? (increasing weight every set and working towards PR's eventually)

Military standing with barbell, you got it.

Don't do lat pull downs yet... stick to the basic 5x5 layout for now.

Guys?...

it says monday squat 5x5 bench 1x5 row 1x5 then wednesday squat 5x5 deadlift 5x5 military 5x5 pull-ups/chins 5x5 (i did pulldowns). 1x5 increases weight the 5 sets and 5x5 is the same weight all 5 sets.

vinnyxgunz said:
it says monday squat 5x5 bench 1x5 row 1x5 then wednesday squat 5x5 deadlift 5x5 military 5x5 pull-ups/chins 5x5 (i did pulldowns). 1x5 increases weight the 5 sets and 5x5 is the same weight all 5 sets.
I have no idea... hopefully some one else will get in here that's more versed in the ways of the 5x5.

Top Bottom