Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

First meet jitters!!!!

Grantsdu

I will be entering my first ever Powerlifting Meet the 23 of March. I'm only entering Bench press. It will be pause, thats the only thing that worries me. I have only been pausing for about a month. I'm getting it but its slow going. Do any of you have any tips for the week before the meet and the day of the meet? Like should i trian the week before the meet, how much worm up do I want before i do my first lift and so on. I'm also having trouble deciding what weight to start at first. My IRM is 270 pause. I'm thinking about starting at 240 or 245. That sound OK? Any tips would really help me along. This is all really new to me, I need all the help I can get to ensure success!!!!

The most important issue, imho, is getting on the board. Especially in your first power meet, the first attempt should be a weight you can do with no hesitation or doubt. You must get on the board. Only PLJay can go for a record on his first attempt.
Get your freakin barbell curls out of my power rack!!!!!!

Are you competing Raw? when i started pause i was around 275 as well. My first meet i went 255 275 300 and felt like the 250 was a wasted attempt. Warm up to like 240 or 250 and open with some thing that you know you can get like 265 or so. Then go for a Pr and then for a huge Pr.

I asked the same question. A guy from my gym told my to open with a weight that I could do; in the rain, only wearing underwear, with the flu, and 100 degree temp. I'm no powerlifting guru, but like JimmyD said getting on the board is the most important thing.
I read a article by Dave Tate and he advised; Make sure you get on the board with your first lift, 2nd lift should be your max, 3rd lift should be an attempt at a new max weight by 5-10lbs.

I will be lifting without a shirt. I'm entering into the 138 pound class as a pure novice. I have heard that your first lift should be a weight that you can do 3 times. I may open 250, then 265 then 275 or 280. Depends on how strong I'm feeling. I have heard a good bench will help your maw alot. I'm not a member of a gym, we have crummy equipment but its better than nothing!!!

Hey south pause Jimmie D is one of the main crew. In fact he is the crew chief! The guru himself! He is the louie simmons of the south! And one of my best friends. Good to see you post bro.

jimmydean said:
Hey Southpawse, that was me that said that.

It was you! Didn't know your username though Bro. Bubba following your advice(and everything I can read from Louie S. and Dave Tate) My bench has increased about 90lbs in the last 12 months. I'm pretty impressed with that until I realize PLJ hits my max weight for 10 as one of his warm-ups.LOL I'm still working on my "MONSTER FREAK" statues. :D We'll be there one day!!!

If I have one piece of advice to offer everyone for their first meet, it would be:

WAIT FOR THE SIGNALS

Newbie mistake number one is usually beating the rack signal, and nothing sucks like getting a successful lift turned down.

I'll second that one by Arioch, I came very close to getting two of my first three lifts turned down by coming very close to beating the rack signal.

B

Top Bottom