Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fifty pounds on my bench max in less than a month...

kyle

A while back, I posted that i lost about twenty pounds (185-190 > 165-170) from my bench max when i first tried westside. After that i rested for a few day then started a PTP cycle (as desribedhere ). the idea is basically to do two sets of five with high tension (keeping the whole body tight) at a high frequency (up to 5 days/week), but i only did 3 or 4 days/week because i was getting sore after most workouts. anyway, i actually started each workout with a heavy static hold until it started to get really hard (usually 5-10 seconds), then rested 4 min, did my first set of five, rested 5 min, did my second set of 5 with 90% of the weight that i used for the first set. i started my cycle with with 125x5 for my first set and in just under a month i finished with 175x5 but felt like i could have gone heavier... i think i probably got 50 lb on my max (about 215) but havent been able to lift hard since then because of school work and other stuff i've been doing... just thought some people would find this interesting.

-kyle

btw, my weight dropped from 160 to 157 over the course of that month

are you going to complete another cycle of it?

I gained a lot on the first cycle...then the second time around i stalled 5kgs lower than the peak of the first cycle.

my problem with the program is that it didnt allow for my weak areas. (like west side does)

I do like the idea of the program and i think it only suits handfulls of people (including the untrained person) but i think its applications for a well trained powerlifter is limited.(unless they only have 30mins to train a day)
you risk overtraining if you need to target a weakness. I added chinups for a while....that was a bit much for me.

Yes i also lost a bit of body weight.

the bear was pretty cool as well. (if you wanna gain weight)

How long did you train westside?

i trained westside for seven weeks and considerably increased every lift except my bench press.

my next cycle will be 5,4,3,2,1 with increasing weight - based on the same principles as PTP, then i'm going to try a program that i only do singles, then i'll try whatever worked best for a second time and go from there

-kyle

it's pretty interesting I havn't heard of this method and I'd love 50lbs on my bench.

Endpoint you mentioned you tried it too, if you don't mind me askin bro how much did you recieve outta it??????

Another thing kyle was your form like a BB with elbows out or like a PL with elbows tucked in.

50lbs at the begining...but that went back to 42lb or something.

I hadnt really benchpressed before that....so it was good at the time. I dont think it would help me much now though

Its hard to say with squats/deadlifts...i dislocated my patela half way through the cycle (nothing to do with the gym or weights it happend at work)

Last edited:
If you dont target your weakness on westside, you fail to progress. once you find your weekness you iron it out and progress..till you find another iron it out progress.

Its a long term training system that constantly evolves and doesnt stagnate aslong as you aware of where your problem lays

Cubanito17 said:
Another thing kyle was your form like a BB with elbows out or like a PL with elbows tucked in.

elbows tucked, touched the bar at the bottom of my sternum, pressed it as close to strait up as possible

Since I'm not competing any time soon since I havn't been lifting hardcore thanks too school I wouldn't mind trying that workout to see how i do with it. At least for the bench part if it worked once for two people i'll just do it for one month and see what's up.

One thing though i tried looking on the link and I couldn't find the workout. Can you PM me with it or email or just write it on here what you did step by step so I don't mess up. And how many days apart off did you take??? I'm interested in it b/c I see my bench progressing but slowly even though I'm targeting weak points its stil round there somewhere.

Cubanito17 said:
Since I'm not competing any time soon since I havn't been lifting hardcore thanks too school I wouldn't mind trying that workout to see how i do with it. At least for the bench part if it worked once for two people i'll just do it for one month and see what's up.

One thing though i tried looking on the link and I couldn't find the workout. Can you PM me with it or email or just write it on here what you did step by step so I don't mess up. And how many days apart off did you take??? I'm interested in it b/c I see my bench progressing but slowly even though I'm targeting weak points its stil round there somewhere.

the actuall program (reps, weight, frequency, etc) is really just a way to implement the basic premises that are preached in the book Power to the People. many top powerlifts have used these methods, but pavel basically just wrote a book about it:

1. never train to failure - this overloads the CNS too much
2. lift with high tension - flex all your muscles as hard as you can when u lift (except antagonist, ie biceps during bench). pay special attention to pushing air into your lower lungs and flexing the abs (like westside) and tighten the glutes maximally, grip the bar tightly
3. try to apply as much force as possible all the time
4. never train with more than 5 reps
5. always allow complete recovery between sets (about 5 min)

with that in mind, do 2 set of 5 at as high of frequency as possible (up to 5 times/per) without feeling too wornout

start a cycle with 80% of your 5RM and increase weight 5 lb per session untill you almost use a weight where you think u would have to hit failure at 5 reps (but stop at 4 instead)

the second set should be 90% of he weight used in the first set

if you feel that you'd benefit from static holds, then do 1 or 2 before your first set - this might reduce frequency of workouts, but it was definetely worth it for me

read all the articles pertaining training at dragondoor.com and read the forum for more info and programs

-kyle

Thanks for writing back I don't completely understand it though.

Ok so I do my first set of heavy 5 each bench workout so I'm guessin i'm doing this twice a week.

and then for my second set I use 80% of what I used in the first set.

I.E. first set 255 for 5
second set 205 for 5

so this means I just do 2 sets

is there any easier way you can explain this. And then after you do the bench do you do any extra workouts???? If so setsXreps, please.

Top Bottom