Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Feeling Overtrained - Deloading Advice

Tadow

Hey all.

I've been on a training split for the last 4 months that has really given me great results. I know most here won't approve but here's the split I've been on:

5 day rotation, 4 on 1 off then repeat:

Day 1
Chest
Day 2
Arms
Day 3
Legs/Shoulders
Day 4
Back
Day 5
Off

Cardio 4 days a week, 40 mins per session

Abs Monday/Wednesday/Friday

As far as volume per workout - I'm only hitting about 12 sets per major muscle group, and 9 per small muscle group.

I've been on a cut the entire time, making good progress losing weight and gaining strength at the same time (I'm actually stronger now then I ever have been - which isn't much compared to most of you guys lol).

Until the last 2 weeks - last week was the first time that I didn't get stronger on both chest and back. This week on chest day I actually performed worse than last week. I'm having trouble getting mentally "up" for my sets and workouts, and this week I've slept a lot more than any time I can recently remember.

So I'm feeling that overtraining might be setting in. What do you guys think I should do to deload? I want to keep my cut going... should I take an entire week off? Do only cardio for a week?

I've had a lot of trouble in the past with keeping myself in check as far as overtraining - so any informed advice is appreciated.

Yes its time for you to deload. My recommendation is to lift Mon-Wed-Fri of that week with 20% intensity of your normal workout... that way you will still get your blood moving. Do this for about 20-30 minutes then do a light paced cardio only on those days. The key here is focusing on your diet for the week: eat extra clean and keep the protein high.

Cata1yst said:
Yes its time for you to deload. My recommendation is to lift Mon-Wed-Fri of that week with 20% intensity of your normal workout... that way you will still get your blood moving. Do this for about 20-30 minutes then do a light paced cardio only on those days. The key here is focusing on your diet for the week: eat extra clean and keep the protein high.

Actually sounds like a pretty good piece of advice to me. Also, once you return training, you might want to look at a different kind of training. Training each bodypart once per week just doesn't cut it.

Thanks for the advice guys - That's what I'll plan to do for this workout cycle.

psychedout said:
Actually sounds like a pretty good piece of advice to me. Also, once you return training, you might want to look at a different kind of training. Training each bodypart once per week just doesn't cut it.

Actually part of what I like about this current training split is that I hit each body part about 1.5 times per week based on the fact that it's a 5 day rotation as opposed to a 7 day rotation. I actually am strongly considering starting a 5X5 when I've finished cutting. On that note - it is tough to move to a completely different plan when the one you are on has been working well.

I must admit I dont like your split! I would prefer this:

Day

1 - Delts & Arms
2 - Legs
3 - Chest
4 - Back
5 - off/ repeat

musketeer said:
I must admit I dont like your split! I would prefer this:

Day

1 - Delts & Arms
2 - Legs
3 - Chest
4 - Back
5 - off/ repeat

I actually like that split alot... would you hit traps on shoulder day with that or back? I'm thinking with Back based on the number of sets I'd already be doing on delts/arms day.

NO need to do direct trap work - I think:

Shoulder day: Push press, cleans cheat laterals (that's a trap pounding!)

Back day: Deadlifts, bent rows...

VERY occasionally I work in a few sets of dumbell shrugs on either day if I have lots of energy.

For back these have been my excercises:

Weighted Wide Grip Pull Ups
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Wide Grip Seated Rows
Bent Over Dumbell Rows

I have been hesitant to do deads because of knee issues (ACL/MCL reconstruction). I recently got back to doing full ATF squats. It's probably more of a mental issue than anything and I should stop being a bitch about it.

Anyways - which of those excercises would you replace with deads?

Tadow said:

Anyways - which of those excercises would you replace with deads?
Lose the seated rows and db rows and become a bloody shinned pull monkey.

i can't resist- build up your work capacity so you can train your body right! Drop the one-day-a-week flex magazine split!

Ok I feel better now. :)

Right on guinness! Lose the seated rows and db rows and grow some traps by doing deads. I used to do 6-8 sets of power shrugs. Since I started doing deads, my traps have developed quite nicely and I don't do shrugs, at all.

Top Bottom