Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

feedback on routine, any advice greatly appreciated!

nerdyweakling

Hi All,

I've been lifting for 3-4 months and have seen most gain in my legs, biceps and shoulders. My chest is still small, although I am lifting higher weights across all lifts. Due to digestive issues I fell to 157lbs (I am 5'10''), but have made a concerted effort and am now at 190lbs 6 months later. Even though I thought 5'10'' 190lbs was big, I am it now and don't feel big at all. By looking at me you probably couldn't tell I lift weights...although you might.

I know I am writing a lot in this post but I really would appreciate any advice on my routine as it currently is. I don't know if I am doing too much, or the wrong exercises, the wrong number of sets or reps, etc. as most of my routines comes from forums highlighting best lifts. I want to make sure I am making the most of my time...I am lifting for mass. Strength is a great plus.

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
DB Bench 5 x 8 (65lbs each db)
Incline DB Fly's 3 x 8 (45 lbs each db)
Incline BB Bench 4 x 8 (65lbs + bar)
Chest Dips 3 x 8 (assisted, @ 30lbs resistence)
Standing Military Press 3 x 8 (20lbs + barbell)
DB front lift 3 x 8 (35lbs each db)
Closed Grip Bench 3 x 8 (45lbs + barbell)
Rope extension 3 x 8 (45lbs)
Dips 3 x 8 (bodyweight)

Day 2: Back, Biceps & Forearms

Barbell Row 5 x 8 (100lbs + barbell)
Wide-grip Chin-ups 4 x 8 (assisted @ 35, 45, 55, and 60 lbs)
DB shrugs 4 x 8 (95 lbs each db)
DB Rows (leaning over bench), 3 x 8 (95lbs)
Reverse DB Curl 3 x 8 (50lbs + barbell)
Hammer curls 3 x 8 (40lbs each db)
Preacher curls 3 x 8 (45 lbs + barbell)
Wrist curls with barbell 3 x 8 (70lbs + barbell)
Wooden stick with rope thing 3 x 8 (20 lbs)

Day 3: Legs
Squats 4 x 8 (140lbs + barbell)
Leg extensions 3 x 8 (160 lbs)
Leg curls 3 x 8 (115 lbs)
Calf Raises 3 x 8 (160 lbs on machine)
Leg Press 4 x 8 (410 lbs, w plates racked)

Day 4: Rest

PS. I don't do deadlift for now b/c I did and hurt my back a bit (I have very minor back problems, don't want to worsen them). I am not working on abs either for a similar reason. I plan on bulking up my large muscles for a while and at some point in the future cutting and doing ab work at that time.

Thank you!

Dam bro thats a lot of lifting for anybody.
IMO its just too much and you will burn out on this.
I would suggest that you do either of the following,
Check out my good bro stevesmi. He much prefers Push, Pull, Legs. And it works for him pretty dam well.
As for me I much prefer lower volume as in the Strong Lifts 5x5.
Check them out and then post back up in here with your thoughts and we can go from there.
The vast majority of peeps do well with less volume and heavier weights. Particularly those that think they are hard gainers.

Thanks. Any idea where I can find a Stevesmi workout? I'll keep looking but haven't found threads w/ his workout in them...I do not really want to do the strong lifts but I can do them as a routine if that is the best option for me.

Thank you for reading my long thread and commenting. I feel bad asking for more advice since you already did that, but how much volume should I be aiming for? I think 9 total sets for biceps is ok, right? But 15 for back and for chest is maybe too much for them?

I wonder if 3 days lifting and 1 day rest is good, or if I need to change this too?

Thank you!

For stevesmi, just shoot him a pm bro. He will be happy to respond.
How come you think you dont wanna do the SL 5x5? Just curious..
Bro all of us mods on here are here to help out everybody we can, its our job and we love doing it. So no need to apologize.

To me on volume, do as little as it takes to get your bod to respond the way you want it to. Then your bod has that much more energy to recoup from your workouts and grow.
Typically most peeps respond very very well to the 5x5 because of the low volume and heavy weight.
Many times peeps are just way overdoing it in the gym. You dont grow in the gym, you grow after the workouts. Thats what recovery is all about.
9 sets for biceps? bro most if the time I dont even isolate biceps. I hit mine with 250 Lb bent over rows, and chinups at my body weight, 242 this a.m. Just recently I started doing curls at 125 Lbs, I do from 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps. Thats it, will go up in weight weekly.
But thats how I work out. I also dont isolate tries at all. LOL I just dont do any isolation work at all.
To me Isolation is a waste of time unless you are at the point of walking out on stage.
The big heavy compound lifts are where you are gonna get big and strong. Then once you hit that point, big and strong then you to into isolation lifts.
I just not there yet.
Good luck and keep posting, cuz thats how we all learn bro.
Best regards.

i am curious to see your pics and also how old you are. 5 10 and 190 isn't that bad at all considering you were in the 150's before. so you are really making fast progress. deadlifts shouldn't hurt your back if done correctly and done with moderate weight, but i suppose you can stick to squats if you insist.

I like your push/pull/leg split however there are a couple things that need to be addressed.

for one as ZED said above I counted 25+ sets on your push day. that is too much and the reason you are doing that many is your weight you are doing is too low. you need to reduce your sets and go heavier. you can take 5 minutes in between sets, that is fine when you do your compound lifts.

I want you start your push day with the bench press always with an olympic bar. then you can mix in incline/decline (alternate each time) and mix in the amount of reps per set adjust the weight as needed. you can do 4 reps heavy, or do 12 reps light... then get in some dips/pushups/butterflies... mix it up.. total of 14-16 sets. that is enough.. if you do heavier weight and push yourself that will be a full hour workout and you will feel it. always push yourself on the sets till failure, then rest.. then go again till failure.

pull days I want you to start them with 3 sets of pullups then do rows.. then continue to 15 sets again. do the same thing as above

then with leg days you start them off with squats or deadlifts.. then continue with the workouts you mentioned to work the quads, hammies, calves, midia.

you can mix up abs on any of these days.. also dont forget the traps on your pulling days as you have listed

seems like you put together a good workout routine but lets focus now on going heavier with less sets total.

as for food you should be eating every 2 hours.. clean of course. carbs, cals, and protein with every meal. snacks you can enjoy and apple or banana. a good post workout meal is brown rice, steamed veggies, baked chicken. a good pre workout meal is whole raw sweet potato. morning meal is important, get in some carbs right off the bat.. they sell protein pancakes at NTBM.. or you can make your own by mixing in whey and the batter (use good quality batter) they also sell organic waffles and pancakes in most supermarkets frozen

cardio needs to be reduced, i saw in one of your posts you do some cardio.. do a quarter mile 3X per week, thats all. once you get bulkier you can increase the cardio.. but right now your goal is muscle mass.

and you have been only at this a few months, be a little patient.. as you gain experience and knowledge things will get easier and easier. the good thing about this sport is we always are getting better as we gain more experience. so be patient.

Thanks for the great advice. I did a lot of research on the 5 x 5 and have warmed up to it. I don't like doing compound lifts as much as isolation, which is why I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but I think it might be the best thing for me. I have tried to come up with a routine based heavily on 5x5 but with a couple isolation exercises in there. Something like this might work? If a regular 5x5 would be better I'll just scrap this and do the proven 5 x 5.

A (PUSH) (Mon)
Squat
Bench Press
Incline Bench
Tricep Bench

B (PULL) (Wed)
Wide-grip chin
Barbell Rows
Squat
Deadlift
DB Curls

C (hybrid) (Friday)
Squat
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Barbell Rows

I am actually 28. My regular weight is 175 but I was on a restricted diet due to digestive issues and that is why I went down so far in weight (to just under 160). Now I am 190 but really not big. If a picture makes sense I can take one and post it. My biceps and legs are the most muscular parts I have...I think my legs are what carried most of my weight in terms of my frame.

Just to update, I did this today and it felt great. Usually w/ 8 reps I only struggle on the last one, but with 5 I was consistently struggling throughout with reps 3-5 and pushing through them. It felt great.

A (PUSH) (Mon)
Squat 5 x 5 (140 + bar)
DB Bench Press 5 x 5 (80lbs db)
Incline Bench 5 x 5 (75 + bar)
Barbell Row 5 x 5 (130 + bar)
Shrugs 5 x 5 (95lbd db)

It did take an hour, and I was generous with my recuperation time. I did db bench press b/c I prefer it, but I will change to barbell next time as Stevesmi said. Depending on how this goes and the feedback from everyone I will make changes that are recommended, but otherwise at least with this type of routine I think its agreed it is better than my previous ones! Thanks!

Thanks for the great advice. I did a lot of research on the 5 x 5 and have warmed up to it. I don't like doing compound lifts as much as isolation, which is why I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but I think it might be the best thing for me. I have tried to come up with a routine based heavily on 5x5 but with a couple isolation exercises in there. Something like this might work? If a regular 5x5 would be better I'll just scrap this and do the proven 5 x 5.

A (PUSH) (Mon)
Squat
Bench Press
Incline Bench
Tricep Bench

B (PULL) (Wed)
Wide-grip chin
Barbell Rows
Squat
Deadlift
DB Curls

C (hybrid) (Friday)
Squat
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Barbell Rows

I am actually 28. My regular weight is 175 but I was on a restricted diet due to digestive issues and that is why I went down so far in weight (to just under 160). Now I am 190 but really not big. If a picture makes sense I can take one and post it. My biceps and legs are the most muscular parts I have...I think my legs are what carried most of my weight in terms of my frame.

Bro really not trying to be a turd here.

As a 5x5 that program is not too good.
This is the SL 5x5 program,

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Believe me bro if you do this just like it is written you will be a dam monster at the end of 12 weeks. There is no isolation in it cuz there dosnt need to be. Your bies and tries are getting a ton of indirect work here.
Go here and really read this,

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdSZoAdlO7jwAsfhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZGVia2RwBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA1FJMDI4XzE5MA--/SIG=12ukhivdi/EXP=1322873320/**http%3a//stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

It works, thats all there is to it bro. It just plain works!

No problem, I appreciate all feedback.

If that is the case, I'll do the SL 5 x 5. It just seems like I'll be in and out in a half hour, which I don't want. But if it is the best option, trust me, I'll do it. You and the others here know more than me so I'll happily follow the best advice no matter what.

Could I switch between A and B on that workout Monday, Wed., Fri. and Sun? I'd prefer that to M,W,F only, but if it really is best to only do it 3 x a week then I'll do it.

Thanks!

Top Bottom