Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fast Twitch SLow Twitch discussion

enigma4dub

So there has been a lot being said about hypertrophy in relation to muscle fiber composition. Question when working at heavy percentages of maxes in the 5 rep range am i not properly stimulating my slow twitch fibers and selling my physique short? im thinking that its taking full muscle recruitment to move the weight. But if we assume that the slow twitch fibers arent directly involved, what are they doing when im working so hard to move the weight? is this solely dependent on the percentage of each fiber that you have?

Would working in such high percentage of your 1RM cause the slow twitch muscles to change into fast twitch? I know I have read studies stating that long duration steady state cardio (jogging) causes fast twitch muscle fiber in your legs to change into slow twitch. I personally could care less as long as the weight on the bar keeps increasing and I am adding lbm. I know you feel the same here. This is a valid question though. Maybe someone of greater knowledge (Tat) can chime in and answer.

SouthernLord said:
Would working in such high percentage of your 1RM cause the slow twitch muscles to change into fast twitch? I know I have read studies stating that long duration steady state cardio (jogging) causes fast twitch muscle fiber in your legs to change into slow twitch. I personally could care less as long as the weight on the bar keeps increasing and I am adding lbm. I know you feel the same here. This is a valid question though. Maybe someone of greater knowledge (Tat) can chime in and answer.

yes good point maybe i should have put her name in thread title lol. id like to have a better understanding of the fibers and there role in adding lbm and getting stronger in general. here another: is there any relation to neural adaptation and what type of muscle is firing?

I have a hunch that the heavier you lift causes greater neural adaptation.

General rule of thumb

Less than 5 reps = strength

6-12 reps = strength and hypertrophy

More than 12 reps = endurance

I think all of the rep ranges have their place in bodybuilding

It is a bit late for my brain, I will have to post more tomorrow.

so if hypertrophy seems to be coming relatively easy for the trainee in the 5 rep range does one assume that he he is fast twitch fiber dominant? and what is going on with the slow twitch fibers in the lower rep ranges. and im being specific for 5.

enigma4dub said:
so if hypertrophy seems to be coming relatively easy for the trainee in the 5 rep range does one assume that he he is fast twitch fiber dominant? and what is going on with the slow twitch fibers in the lower rep ranges. and im being specific for 5.

As far as I understand, it wouldn't stimulate this muscle fiber type much, so it wouldn't hypertrophy or get stronger

Fast and slow twitch muscle fibers are not evenly distributed, some muscles do seem to be predominantly one or the other, for example, triceps, fast, biceps, slow.

Some of this is logical when you look at the type of work a muscle or the movement of the muscle. Some of it is genetic, and as Southern Lord mentioned, stimulus/training is thought to switch a percetage of fibers.

If you are getting significant growth in the 5 rep range,then that muscle group is probably mostly fast twitch, which also shows more hypertrophy than slow twitch.

I think people don't pay much attention to the rep ranges and fiber types as the growth from slow twith stimulation is going to take longer to noitce as the hyypertrophy is less, and it will take a lot more res for an 'enduarnace'peroid of time for results.

i think more or less training either fast twitch or slow twitch will make you grow
however im sure (depending on the individual) one is more efficiant
i prefer heavy lifting

The slow twitch is involved at heavy weights, all your muscles are, the heavier you go, the more fast twitch muscles come into play

weights are slow enough for the slow twitch msucles to contribute

but it's only the fast twitch stuff that grows the most and easiest. Guys with lots of fast twitch muscles and good hormone and CNS makeup will grow the fastest and the most when training

Ok there is two types of fast-twitch fybers which are FT-2b and FT-2a and there is the slow-twitch fybers. The FT-2b are better stimulated by a weight around 60% of your max and done explosively and that's why supercoach Louie Simmons has is athletes doing sets of 3 explosive reps w that percentage on is protocols. FT-2a are the ones better stimulated by 5reps on the 85-90% of your max.

Check the website below to get the full picture about ultimate development and fiber recruitment it will blow you away...

http://www.coachr.org/fiber.htm

Top Bottom