Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

explosive power training?

CoBra666

Broken
shit i had a question but i forgot it.... there we go. i started this about 15 minutes ago. lol anyways do any of you know the best way to train for like explosive power, i guess would be my best description. like i am a kickboxer, karate, bjj, boxing, and i guess thats it. i want to be able to punch harder, which would mean punch faster... so would that just be fast twitch muscle fiber? which would be like a heavy 5x5? or is that ass backwards

Try adding Power Cleans to your workout. They helped me out a lot for football. When I was 18 I could Power Clean 245lbs. Helped me with explosion off the line.

well at the moment im just doing a basic 5x5. i intend to alternate deadlifts and powercleans on my "a" workout. im getting off of an illness and minor surgery in my core area so im still on medium weights, and doing just body weight core workouts at the moment. probably till the end of the month then if my body reacts favorably i want to push for about 90% weight for a couple weeks and hopefully by mid april/may be back into the full swing of my workout. just trying to lockdown my routine as best i can for my intended purposes.

balboa's suggestion is a good one. really, i'd say if you're shooting for explosive power, i would do 2 or 3x /week your normal routine, incorporating some hang cleans, power cleans, etc. in there.
and then add in a 4th day where it's all dynamic explosive exercises. this can include jumping squats, push press, speed bench, etc.

do this, and yee shall become fast and strong.

cool, i know for my legs i used to do that p90x plyo, i can start adding some weight to that too.. well when the time comes. guess i could also modify pushups, pullups, plank and those kinda arms workouts too, to a plyo style. i do do this kind of training in our training camps. guess i could replicate the same workouts with weighted wristlets or anklets

ok, i can post links but bill starr recommended a 5x5 where you replace the rows with power cleans and the deadlifts with high pulls...
it sounds right to me... and im sure if you wanted to do an accesssory lift or two, box jumps would be ok...

Code:
 [/B]

[B]The Bill Starr Power Routine[IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb34482/common/skins/common/blank.gif[/IMG][/B]

[B]
Monday – Heavy Day 
Squat – 5 sets of 5 
Bench – 5 sets of 5 
Powerclean – 5 sets of 5 
Weighted hyperextensions - 2 sets 
Weighted sit-ups - 4 sets 

On Monday, the weight for each lift is increased on each set of 5, from a light warm-up to an all out set of 5. For squats, something like 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. The weight should be increased evenly from your first to last set. If you are working up to bigger weights, say above 500, you can add a sixth set of 5 just to avoid making large jumps between sets. Your fifth set equals the triple from the previous Friday's [URL="http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5#"][COLOR=darkgreen]workout[/COLOR][/URL] 

Wednesday – Light Day 
Squat – 4 sets of 5 
Overhead Press – 4 sets of 5 
High Pulls – 4 sets of 5 
Sit-ups - 3 sets 

On light day, Squat the first 3 sets of 5 just as you did on Monday, and then do a fourth set of 5 with the weight used on the third set. An extra fifth set at this same weight can be added.Overhead Press is done using the same scheme, working up to 2-3 sets of 5, but with about 70-80% of the weight flat bench, to accommodate the leverage difference of the incline. High Pulls are done by feel, but usually pretty heavy. 

Friday - Medium 
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, 1 set of 8 
Powercleans – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple 
Weighted Dips - 3 sets of 5-8 
Triceps and Biceps - 3 sets of 8 each 

On Friday, the first four sets are the same as they were on Monday. The fifth set, done for three reps, should be a jump of about 2.5% over what you did for your fifth set on Monday. As you become more experienced with the system, you can experiment with the weight you use on this triple. This should NOT be a PR triple attempt every week. In fact, the goal is to come back the following Monday and get the same weight for 5 reps that you got for 3 reps the Friday before. To avoid missing reps, pick weights carefully. Take it easy the first few weeks, and don’t over do it. In fact if you've tested/already know your 5 rep maxes you shouldn't be using that weight until the 4th week. After the big triple, drop back to the weight you used for your 3rd set and try to get eight reps. [/B]

[B]

That?

source: Bill Starr 5x5 - Starting Strength Wiki

thanks for the link, that was pretty much what i was planning on doing. with the thought of adding an all plyo day somewhere in there too

Top Bottom