Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Explosive Lifts

Saint V

How many of you peeps do these? I'm talking olympic lifts and their variations. Power cleans, snatch grip high pulls, cleangrip high pulls, dynamic shrugs, etc......................I've just got back into doing the high pulls, and I must say that I love them. I think they bring up your back better than anything going. They can make for a very intense session. :evil:

I agree with everything you said. The OLs and their varriants also carryover well to the deadlift and allow you to save some recovery by not pulling as heavy all the time. Those who don't know them really only have a single fundemental pulling option. As I recall kiloamp here has done some fairly good lifts in the past. With nationals rolling around this might also be of interest to you: http://www.midwestbarbell.com/totalelite/index.php?showtopic=857

I do power cleans in all of my back days...no exceptions...push presses are also amazing for the shoulder girdle...power cleans have definitely caused my upper back growth to explode

CN

cleans (from the floor) will help you learn to explode off the floor when it comes time for you to deadlift. i am acutally going to start incorporating them into my work outs, after my lower back gets better.

I find power cleans to be a satisfying lift. As for shrugs, I've always tried to do them explosively but have recently discovered power shrugs. They're both great for the rear aspect of your upper torso.

I'd love to try out the Olympic lifts but I've just joined the biggest gym for miles around and no-one seems to know anything about them. At least, no-one I've yet spoken with.

I'd love to get into some of the explosive lifts, but I'm hesistant because there's no one around to show me and I don't want to start freestyling and hurt myself.

Blut Wump said:
I find power cleans to be a satisfying lift. As for shrugs, I've always tried to do them explosively but have recently discovered power shrugs. They're both great for the rear aspect of your upper torso.

I'd love to try out the Olympic lifts but I've just joined the biggest gym for miles around and no-one seems to know anything about them. At least, no-one I've yet spoken with.

What's the difference between a explosive shrug and a power shrug?

With an explosive shrug I'd still be using just my traps but trying to power the weight up rather than squeeze it up. With a power shrug you bring in help from your hips and heels. It makes it almost a whole-body movement. Think of it as a cheat shrug or you could think of it as being like the start of a power clean but instead of doing the clean you let your traps carry the weight upwards.

Svend Carlson does them on his video and I think madcow has links to them on his monster 5x5 thread. Yep, there's a link there on his main intro page.
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375215

Top Bottom