Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

everyone who does multiple rep deadlifts...

bgflpydnky said:
This is where I got it from...

The Dead Zone
The Top 10 Deadlifting Mistakes and How to Fix Them
by Dave Tate

Mistake #7: Training with multiple reps
Next time you see someone doing multiple reps on the deadlift, take note of the form of each rep. You'll see the later reps look nothing like the first. In competition you only have to pull once, so you need to learn how to develop what's known as starting strength for the deadlift. This is the strength needed to get the bar off the floor without an eccentric (negative) action before the start.
In other words, you don't lower the bar first and then lift the weight as you do with the squat and bench press. When you train with multiple reps you're beginning to develop reversal strength, which isn't needed with the deadlift.
These two reasons are enough to keep the deadlift training to singles. If you're using multiple reps with the deadlift, then stand up in between each rep and restart the lift. This way you'll be teaching the proper form and be developing the right kind of strength.

I understnad the rationale if your a competetive Pl'er..if you dont compete it wont hurt you to do multiple reps..besides i think the article is generally referring to the very very heavy sets..generally my first work set allows me to keep good form for all 10 reps..as i add weight i drop the reps lower than i would for most other exercises..

Reset,it keeps your form better.

Anyone who says their form doesn't break down is either not using enough weight or lying.

Cuthbert said:
Reset,it keeps your form better.

Anyone who says their form doesn't break down is either not using enough weight or lying.

Agree...

I did 590 x 5 tonight after squats and I had to reset quickly between reps. With 320-500 or so...the weight is usually so light that I can just pump them out though.

Like you said about the weight being heavy though...I agree.

B True

b fold the truth said:
Agree...

I did 590 x 5 tonight after squats and I had to reset quickly between reps. With 320-500 or so...the weight is usually so light that I can just pump them out though.

Like you said about the weight being heavy though...I agree.

B True

i will reset when i start getting heavier

but first couple pyramid sets are touch and go

Gotta reset,IMO. When I reset even though it take maybe .5sec it help my pull after by being faster and why get the bounce or stretch reflex let your muscles do the work, that is why we lift weights. PLus injury is too common with no resetting form

i touch and go with resetting as necessary. i only do 5 rep work sets (5x5) and it's not uncommon if at rep 3 or 4 i need to take a quick pause. if i feel the need to make an adjustment, i have no problem stopping real quick to do it.

If you're deadlifting to build muscles instead of deadlifting to get stronger at deadlifting, I wouldn't adivse resetting.

It drains your energy by denying some of the elastic strength that you get from doing a positive after a negative. Would you pause at the bottom of each bench press rep and let it sit on your chest for 5 seconds?

Lack of reset shouldn't be a form issue if you're not training to failure...

lavi said:
I've seen that article too. Most people here are bodybuilders though. Would a pause not be the same as standing up and restarting the lift? Also, that'd be a pain in the ass if you're using straps...

bumpin this...

Also, I heard that you can somewhat take advantage of the stretch reflex by starting your deadlift quickly rather than taking your time at the bottom before you start the lift. If that's true, then pausing at the bottom might actually make it even harder. Would it be helpful though?

Top Bottom