Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Elevated heart rate, but breathing at 50%??

firemanx

I'm getting back into my cardio routine, after sometime off from running. Previously I was a strong distance runner, but am now getting into cycling for my cardio. I noticed today, using my Polar HRM, that my average heart rate was about 168bpm, for a 5mile ride that only lasted about 30min. Oddly, my breathing was only at about 50%, no fatigue or laboring. I could have went at this pace for quite some time.

My question is, is this a sign of lacking cardio performance? I just found it odd that my heart rate would be that high, and my breathing be so low with no fatigue or trouble. Any advice on what this may indicate would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Your HR may be on the higher end of the bell curve. I find it hard to get that high on a bike. I don't think it really means anything.

A better analysis would use distance/time/HR to make things clearer because we aren't really sure how fast you are going. Take into account inclines too, if they are a factor.

I like to make spreadsheets, etc. using the tool that is stickied at the top of this board.

I do appreciate the reply. Typically I do compare my workouts, using timed distances and such to watch for improvements. I was just super surprised to se my HR that high with low breathing rates. I was afraid I might inadvertanly get into an anerobic state. Thanks for the help and I'll pay a little more attenion to those areas.

Check your pulse manually,sounds like your moniter was giving you a high reading.Think about it,if you have an increase in heart rate during excercise , it is because there is a higher demand for oxigen rich blood to your muscles.At the same time your body needs to expell waste products and it does this by increasing your rate of respirations.If you are not working hard and are not breating any faster then there is not a huge increase in heart rate.

Top Bottom