Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Elbow pain from squatting (only left elbow).. please help!

CitizenKane

Hi there,

A few months ago I switched from a high-bar Oly style squat to a low-bar style, basically been following Rippetoe's advice for the lift to the letter. The reason I did high-bar for so long is because I had such terrible shoulder flexibility that I couldn't do low-bar (I could BARELY do high-bar, seriously...)

But I've worked hard on my flexibility and shoulder mobility and a few months ago moved to a low-bar position. It was fine for a while but as I progressed up in weight the more painful my left elbow became during and post- squatting, usually lasting for 3-4 days. Now any time I squat anywhere above around 80% of my 1rm the elbow pain that ensues is absolutely excruciating.

Now, I know that I have a history of flexibility issues, so I'm presuming the cause of this pain is still lack of shoulder flexibility meaning I'm not able to get my back as tight as I would like meaning that more of the load is actually being supported directly by my elbow.

HOWEVER, what I don't understand is why this is only happening to my left elbow? My right elbow is perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever. I have never heard of or read about cases of 'unilateral inflexibility' such as this, I always figured you had flexible shoulders or you didn't.

In the mean time I am deep heating pre-workout and icing post-workout for every single session I do, taking anti-inflammatories and continuing to do shoulder mobility work 4-5 times per week (shoulder dislocations, etc.) But I would love to see if anybody has any ideas about this, particularly as to why it is only happening to one elbow and not the other.

I would appreciate ANY help or thoughts on the matter. Thank you

Top Bottom