Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Effects of smoking & drinking on training/building

Madd Hatter

Now this is an interesting topic... or it would be if I knew anything about it. Perhaps someone else can educate those of us not in the know? I heard something once about how you may hurt your protein absorbtion (with alcohol, I believe). Other than that....

Myself, I smoke one cigarette a day at the most, except when I drink, and then it's 4 or 5. I drink once a week at most, but I do it right (I get plowed, 9 or 10 drinks at most). As for smoking the other stuff....hell, I bet that's healthier, not nearly the chemicals. Anyway, I share this information because my theory now is: Ok, maybe this stuff is bad, but I don't do it nearly as much as most others.

As an aside, what about some healthIER drinks? I dunno, like prune juice and vodka or something. I'm sure one reason I still have this gut is because I drink beer.

I'm prepared for an onslaught of posts admonishing me and touting abstinence, but come on, nobody's perfect, and I can't be alone.

Just take a look in the mirror. If you are satisfied, then there is NO HARM. It is your body and you are an adult (I would assume.). But do not post something like this here and expect to hear stuff like, "It's all good."

Are we ALL going to die someday? Of course, but I will be quite content (barring serious illness) to go with the body that I possess now. Can you say the same? If you can, then I will SHUT THE FUCK UP!

....just my .02

That is actually a pretty good question. All throughout the past five or six years I have been doing the same thing. I drink maybe once or twice a week, and smoke one cig every four or five days, and like you, i smoke quite a bit when i drink. I havent seen any negative results, but after say a weekend of living it up, my cardio the next few days seems to be harder than usuall. I dont have a gut though, but I dont like beer so I usually drink jagamiester, crown, or something that does the trick and fast. I think hard alcohol doesnt have as many carbs or cals. Also I like to cut loose after a long hard week of training, work, and college.:beer:

I think it will catch up with you eventually in the long run...if you're really into being healthy all around I would cut that stuff out...alcohol has a huge calorie content, and 9 or 10 drinks at once?? Damn thats a lot of calories! I used to drink my ass off in the beginning of college and I just felt like shit all the time...since I've stopped that I feel so much healthier and have alot more energy...

Don't smoke. Never have. So I can't speak to its effect on training. But if I go out drinking on a Friday or Saturday--I'll usually have 9 or 10 drinks--my poundages drop like a rock during the next week. My solution: I rarely drink anymore. Whether this is a viable option for you depends on what's most important to you.

I'm in there with Mclurch. After a week of college I through down a few either Friday or Saturday. One day a week hasn't really slowed my progress over the past few years enough to notice,and I'm pretty satisfied with my body and usually so are the bitches I take home on that one night of partying.

As for nicotine, I smoked for 2 years, quitabout 4 months ago and feel a hell of a lot better. There's actually been threads on the Fina Board about nicotine being anabolic. Its no d-bol or a-drol but there's been people exiperimenting with it over there and have had some definite increase in vascularity in only 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not saying it is or it isn't, I'm just saying you may want to check it out.

Well, it certainly ain't any good for you. I know, personally, if I pull a bender, my workouts are shitty for a day or two later. On the other hand, Arnold used to drink quite heavily at one point. It isn't going to kill you, and, if Arnold is any indication, it won't completely destroy your bodybuilding.

As for some other shitty effects. Alcohol lowers your testosterone. It dehydrates you. Marijuana increases your levels of estrogen. There's some info for you.

Oh, and come to think of it, Mike Mentzer was a meth-head and he nearly won an Olympia. So....I don't know, draw your own conclusions.

I don't smoke or drink, never have and never will. My dad smoked all his life. Had a massive heart attack at 49 and died of lung cancer at 59. I was 19 at the time. Wish I still had him here. I know, I know, everyone can find someone who smokes and drinks and lives to be 95, but it is the exception not the rule!

Grizzly said:
if Arnold is any indication, it won't completely destroy your bodybuilding.

Oh, and come to think of it, Mike Mentzer was a meth-head and he nearly won an Olympia. So....I don't know, draw your own conclusions.

Professional bodybuilders should be never be used as examples of anything. They are genetic freaks, and the rules to which we mere mortals are subject do not apply to them.

Grizzly said:

:devil:
Mike became a "meth-head" after that and went insane from it.
There is a big difference between use and abuse. A drink here or there wont hurt you. It will make you tired if thats how you like to feel. Why anyone smokes cigarettes is beyond me, all it will lead to is illness. All the pot smokers I know are in a permanent daze after years of abuse. They might not admit it but they're burnt.
Long term speed users are always underweight from not eating properly, then when they stop their metabolism is messed up and they put on a ton of fat. When you get in the groove of living a healthy lifestyle you wont want to put anything in your body that makes you feel like shit. Everything in
moderation..........................I should follow my own advice more often!:biggrin:

Top Bottom