Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Each body part once per week?

taylor7

I need some assistance. I recently began training again after a long lay-off and have been lifting each bodypart once a week. Here's what my routine looks like:

M (chest, shoulder, tris)
W (back, bis)
F (legs, calves)
*abs 2-3 times per week.
*7-9 sets for large muscle groups
*4-6 sets for small muscle groups

For the past 6 or so weeks I have been using this routine, hitting it heavy with strict form. My intensity is awesome (of course that's a relative term) and my protein/crab intake is good. Every base seems to be covered. I'm 6'2, 205 lbs. with about 11% bf.

My problem is that I haven't made any noticeable gains. Sure, I get extremely sore and feel well protected from the overtraining demons. Before each workout, though, I feel the muscle I'm working is (for lack of a better term) too rested.

From 14 to 18 years old I trained like a maniac (each body part twice per week, 9-11 sets for major muscle groups and 6-8 for smaller groups) and made great gains (e.g. bench peaked at 400)...never used steroids. Now, my bench is at around 325, and I can't seem to make progress past that mark. Other lifts seem to be stuck as well. From my early 20's to now I have trained sporadically...not much dedication. At times when I did work out on a regular basis (again each body part twice a week) it seemed I was progressing. Today, my work and family life has afforded me the time to rededicate myself to the sport I love. However, I want to do it the smart way with a long-term mentality.

I'm wondering if anyone has had success with less than 7 days of rest per body part type routines without juicing. If so, do you take planned times off to avoid overtraining?

Also, has anyone switched from working each muscle group two or more times per week to once per week with an initial period of stagnation?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Taylor, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than you are. If I train a bodypart any sooner than 7 or 8 days after it's last session then I don't progress. For me the bare minimum is at least a week. I tend to really demolish a muscle group at each sessions though, plus I have a physical job that cuts into my recovery as well. I am a strong believer in doing what your body tells you. Just because most of the guys on here only hit each bodypart once a week doesn't mean you have to. Listen to what your body is telling you. Obviously more frequency has worked in the past. If I was you I wouldn't deviate from what has worked. If you do decide to hit each bodypart twice a week then you might want to drop your sets for all bodyparts, large and small, to maybe 4 or 5 though and hit 'em hard. This way you won't risk overtraining. You will also have to adjust your workout days to accomodate the change from your current one day a week routine on each bodypart. Again, only you know what your body is saying. Listen to it bro. Best of luck to you.

Now everyone is different so you should maybe try to hit the faster recovering bodyparts twice a week or try to train a little more intensly when training as to destroy a body group.

Myself I dont believe in overtraining. I train chest twice a week one very heavy meaning no sets above 8 reps as much weight and forced reps as I can get then I do a light day with sets at a minimum of 12 and usually doing drop sets the entire time. I also do this for bis and tris which I always work together. Abs three times a week and calves every 3 to 4 days. I do this because these are my slowgaining body parts. I know many of you are gonna say it cant be done without gear, I however do it. I make sure my protein intake is more than enough than I need, and I am also not trying to lean out right now so I can take in a good amount of carbs. I usually eat around 4000-4500 cals in a day spread out between 6-8 meals including protein shake snacks. I do not try to hit legs twice a week simply because it usually takes 5-6 days for the soreness to go away in them after working them. back and shoulders the same.

Now this may not be for you but you should always try new things in the gym.

true,you gotta find what works for you.when i hit most bodyparts more than once, i get burned out bigtime.but get this,i have been doing side delts and calves twice aweek with no problem.......just me....;)

hi,

i do one muscle group a week...!!! and it works for me..!! i never felt so good..?

mon: chest / abs
tue: bicep
wed: leg / abs
thurs: tricep
fri: back and shoulders / abs
sat: rest
sun: rest

one week i will do 5 exercises of 2 sets of 8-10
and the next week i do 3 exercises of 3 sets of 8-10 and finish with a set of 25reps to finnish off

:devil:dave

Time

I've came to the conclusion that all matter, whether it be muscle, skin, soft tissue, etc. repairs itself at the same rate. I didn't read it or hear it anywhere. It just kind of came from self exerimentation. So here's how to figure out how long it takes to rebuild your muscle tissue after a workout using this theory.

Take a hammer and smack yourself on a large thigh muscle real hard. You'll get a nice big bruise. Now keep track of how long it takes the bruise to go away. When it's gone it's repaired. Or you could just wait until you bruised yourself accidently. Most people do it a few times a year.

When I was young I repaired in about 5 days. Now days I'm up to about 10 days. So I just use that as my gauge of how often to work a muscle group.

Top Bottom