Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Each body part 2x a week?

rdel85

Is lifting each body part twice a week overtraining and not giving your muscles adquete time to heal? I have been doing this for about the past 10 months with moderate gains. I just joined a new gym and worked out with a trainer for the first week. All the trainers at this gym told me that I shouldn't hit each muscle group more than once a week in order to give them proper time to heal....Any comments?

rdel85 said:
Is lifting each body part twice a week overtraining and not giving your muscles adquete time to heal? I have been doing this for about the past 10 months with moderate gains. I just joined a new gym and worked out with a trainer for the first week. All the trainers at this gym told me that I shouldn't hit each muscle group more than once a week in order to give them proper time to heal....Any comments?

First of all, the trainers at that particular gym are morons.

There is no such thing as 'overtraining', just mismanagement of fatigue. How does your 2 x's a week routine look? I've made excellent gains at times squatting 4 times a week, it is all about where you are in training, your goals, and properly managing fatique.

I can't put on any solid gains without training 2x a week. Especially if you're young, eat properly, and sleep I would say training each muscle 2x a week is imperative. However I have seen routines where you work one muscle till failure once a week but have never really tried it myself, but I doubt this is what you're trainers had in mind.

Whats your workout split look like?

thanks for the replys. It's one of the bigger gyms around so you would think the trainers know something. Everyone is different my one friend who is a trainer at psu has to train 2times a week or else his gains or two slow. I know metabolism and other factors all play a role it. I was doing chest/tris on monday, shoulders /bis on tuesday and back/legs on wednesday and then would repeat that taking sunday off. I have been doing the same routine at the same intensity for awhile now. Would it be more benifical to hit each major muscle group 2x a week but vary intensity, grouping and such to manage fatigue?

rdel85 said:
thanks for the replys. It's one of the bigger gyms around so you would think the trainers know something. Everyone is different my one friend who is a trainer at psu has to train 2times a week or else his gains or two slow. I know metabolism and other factors all play a role it. I was doing chest/tris on monday, shoulders /bis on tuesday and back/legs on wednesday and then would repeat that taking sunday off. I have been doing the same routine at the same intensity for awhile now. Would it be more benifical to hit each major muscle group 2x a week but vary intensity, grouping and such to manage fatigue?

If you're getting results the way you're doing it now why switch?
My routine is almost identical to yours in terms of which day to hit each muscle group.

No dont vary intensity, all workouts should be intense and short. By short i mean not waiting around doing nothing for 5 minutes in between sets.

Generally, the higher the intensity the more recovery time an individual needs.

No matter how well conditioned you are- working heavy all the time leads to overtraining. You should not hit your nervous system quite so hard all the time.

It surprises me no-body has mentioned >>> periodization <<<

You can gain on 6 full body workouts a week naturally. Just use mainly compounds and alternate exercises, don't go to failure, eat enough and rest. Use as much volume as you can handle while still able to increase the weight on the bar.

Top Bottom