Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbell Weight vs Barbell Weight for Bench

Which style of bench press is more effective?

• Barbell

Votes: 80 42.1%
  • Dumbell

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • No Difference

Votes: 12 6.3%

• Total voters

Longhorn85

When I do flat barbell bench I work up to doing 4-6 reps at around 285 lbs.

When I do flat dumbell bench I get a great workout doing reps with 85 lb in each hand. That is much less weight, but the workout feels better during and afterwards.

So I conclude that using dumbells is a better workout. Agree?

dumbbells will work the stabilizing muscles more. if you had to choose only one, i'd say dumbbells would be the better exercise. but the barbell version eliminates some of the stabilization so that you can put more stress on the main movers - tris, pecs, anterior delts. more stress will equate to more growth so do both!

I agree doing both is very important. From a a sports point of view the dumbells are huge to work stabilzers. Bench keeps you set along a primary plane whereas dbs need to be controlled in all. I'll never forget my first time doing dumbell press alone and I hit fatigue. I nearly scalped myself lol :p

Keep both in your training you'll be better for it.

I do both! Man i never did dumbells and let me tell ya, it was hilarious watching me try to use my non existent stabilizer muscles.

masonweitzel said:
I do both! Man i never did dumbells and let me tell ya, it was hilarious watching me try to use my non existent stabilizer muscles.

It requires good technique to be able to bench heavy weight with dumbells safely.

Longhorn85 said:
When I do flat barbell bench I work up to doing 4-6 reps at around 285 lbs.

When I do flat dumbell bench I get a great workout doing reps with 85 lb in each hand. That is much less weight, but the workout feels better during and afterwards.

So I conclude that using dumbells is a better workout. Agree?

I get a better feel ,,,stretch and range of motion with DB's.

Top Bottom