Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

dumbell vs. barbell bench

markshark

MVP
EF VIP
usually always do barbell flat and have hit a rut. im thinkin of switching up to dumbells. anyone have any opinions on what they prefer? i know guys that use dumbells religiously and guys that use bar religiously. ive heard some claim that they build better pecs with dumbells but more overall upper body mass with bar. what do u guys prefer?

due to shoulder issues I had to move away from my beloved flat BB press and hit up the flat DB press

pecs are not suffering, and i'm building a bit more triceps and delt in the process.

markshark said:
usually always do barbell flat and have hit a rut. im thinkin of switching up to dumbells. anyone have any opinions on what they prefer? i know guys that use dumbells religiously and guys that use bar religiously. ive heard some claim that they build better pecs with dumbells but more overall upper body mass with bar. what do u guys prefer?

I doubt you would notice much of a difference moving from bb to db. I personally prefer bb as I can move up in much smaller increments. 2.5 to 5 pounds per session rather than 10 pounds. I have yet to see a gym that has 130pd dbs and 132.5 hahaha.

my gym does however have 1.25 pd plates. boy do I love those.

The barbell provides more load and therefore more hypertrophy and strength gains. However, I do believe that dumbells have there benefits as well in regards to balance and coordination. I like to use the dumbells when im deloading for a couple weeks post 5x5.

I use BOTH in a week, but currently regard the Bar as the meat and potatoes exercise, and the DB as the more feeler. Then again, I'm using a 250lb bar for the 5x5 and the heaviest dumbells in the gym (88lbers) for 3x8. If I had 100lbers+ then th9is could change I guess. Anyhow, here's the chest portion of my 5x5 (which is working well), I', no doing incline stuff because of all the overhead work I'm doing and because I couldn't do flat for 2 years (shoulder inj.) so now I'm getting back with a bang:

Mon: Dips (weighted of course) 5x5

Wed: Bench (flat, barbel): 5x3-5

Fri: dumbell press (flat or mabe with a plate under head-end): 5x5 OR 3x8

Do you find a problem getting into and out of position with the dbells? Sometimes I feel like I'm tearing my shoulder out.

I did mostly db last night for chest because of this thread, and I can say that my chest is a lot more sore today than when I do the barbell bench. But I dont know if I give all the credit to the db because I had a lot of christmas food still giving me fuel, which mad a kickass workout.

bignate73 said:
here is the trick...

pull the dbells as close as you can to your hips/torso, tuck your elbows in tight. Lay back keeping your arms tight and the dbells in close. press on up.
I can get down pretty easy. How do I drop them down without tearing out my shoulder or without just dropping them on the ground?

Top Bottom