Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Are Dumbell presses a good substitute?

-SD-

EXT ELITE ROB
Chairman Member
I am working out again since having shoulder surgery in January (had to shave the end of my collar bone down and the ligament was cut also). Since it still hurts when I go fairly heavy on barbell bench, are dumbell presses a good alternative considering my shoulder? thanks bros.

I cannot do barbell bench presses myself because they hurt my rotator cuffs. I do dumbells and I have had more growth from them than barbells. I'll never go back to barbell bench presses.

I agree with the above. You get a better range of motion with DB. I can't do flat DB anymore because my shoulders sound like rice crispies the next day. Incline BB doesn't bother me. I prefer DB presses for flat and incline. There is something about the flat bench, it's probably an ego thing, however.

Dumbells worked better for me after i injured my shoulder. You can keep you arms close to your sides which takes alot of stress off your shoulders and the growth factor I got using DB's was better. Whenever I use barbells even just one exercise my shoulder hurts for a week or so.

Definately make the switch if your injured, theres no reason not to.

I love dumbells but my gym only goes up to 120s and that is now useless to me. I go heavier than that so the only thing i can do is go to barbells due to the extra weight. I am going to talk to the owner of the gym soon to get him to get some more weight on the dumbells so I dont have to use the barbells anymore. Shoulder is just starting to screw up on me so I am starting to lay off the excessive weight. :( But DBs feel better but always fun to through 3-4 plates around!!! :D

yup they are a great substitute...try barbell on the smith machine too. maybe that will help your shoulder out a little bit.

the whole smith machine thing i dunno about. I dont really like the fact that i cant struggle if you know what i mean. I dont really like the controlled motion on most exercises but I havent tried smith machine for chest so i dunno. I have tried it for shoulders and squats and shit like that and just havent found them very comfortable for me. But monday, my next chest day i will give it a try to see how it feels.

dont get me wrong free weight is the way to go!! but smith feels real good on behind the neck military to me. but i hate it on chest...i dont like being locked in.

Top Bottom