Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

dumbell curls vs preacher curl machine

AlexMC

I use a very low-tech gym with few free weights. I often have to choose between free weights and cable machines.

One choice I am unsure of is whether to perform standing alternate dumbell curls or use the preacher curl machine.

I get a better burn and pump using the preacher machine (110lbs on a cable), and when I do dumbell curls (55lbs each) my wrists, shoulders and lower back seem to give way before my biceps.

Which is the better option?

Pump is not an indicator of a succesful workout actually. It's strange, and one of bodybuilding's paradoxes.

To answer your question, dumbell curls are significantly better than machine preacher curls.

I've never felt comfortable with the preacher setup, not even free-weight over a preacher bench. Dumbells or a bar for me.

AlexMC said:
I use a very low-tech gym with few free weights. I often have to choose between free weights and cable machines.

One choice I am unsure of is whether to perform standing alternate dumbell curls or use the preacher curl machine.

I get a better burn and pump using the preacher machine (110lbs on a cable), and when I do dumbell curls (55lbs each) my wrists, shoulders and lower back seem to give way before my biceps.

Which is the better option?

Can you do incline db curls? Some have built terrific bi's with this alone.

Forget the cable preacher - it's for pros with huge arms only. Invest some time learning the dumbel movemont again. The seated curl - leaning back against a 60 degree bench - is an awesome move...

Cable all the way.

I prefer cables as my arm is not all the way straight and my forearms take over if I go barbell. The cables give me constant tension and no stick points. It is more intense for me and quite painful, especially when I go above 120+ pounds on my main work sets.
I combine a preacher set up with a cable and have not gone back to barbell since. Some of you guys may prefer barbells and it may be best for you.

(Try before you buy into it)

HappyKC

I've seen a couple of big guys at the gym doing the incline seated curl and looking huge from it... although as a movement it doesn't seem obvious and it appears to use front delts quite a lot. Anyone tell me why this is a good movement?

What's a decent weight to be lifting with my bi's after 8 months? As I said I'm on 25kg dumbells... should I be pleased?

If you're 425 pounds of rock-solid muscle you should be devastated at 25Kg Dbs. If you sneak in at under 100 pounds that's pretty awesome.

Sorry I don't quite catch your drift - devastated?

I'm 190lbs - I try to do 3 x 8 x 55lbs after a warmup set of 10 x 40lbs ... is this about right?

Top Bottom