Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbell Chest Curls on Flat bench: Does Diameter of Weight Makes a Difference?

title: Dumbell Chest Curls on Flat bench: Does Diameter of Weight Makes a Difference?

I have these two (2) twenty pound weights / plates that are like 12.5 or more Inches in Diameter.

Yea, I know they look like Fred Flinstone old school weights

I noticed that when I lie down on the flat bench and attempt to do chest curls or flyes, they really wreak havoc on my wrists even though I have protective wrist gear.

In other words, they are cumbersome / clumsy / awkward

When I used to go to the gym when it was open, the weights at the 24 Hour Fitness gym were Compact, the circumference was smaller.

In other words Dumbell at the Gym weight plates were much compact and smaller in circumference. This is probably true at every gym: World Gym, Golds Gym, PowerHouse gym for my friends on the East Coast, :chomp: Jack La Lane :) etc. etc.

My question is;
The compactness or smaller size of the weights on Each Side of the Dumbell, makes doing Chest flyes lying down on a flat bench easier right? At my own gym here in So. Cal, 24 hour Fitness, the 45 pound and 50 pound dumbells were nowhere near 12 inches in diameter from what I recall....so that made doing flat bench dumbell chest flyes A LOT EASIER, Am I right?

Any thoughts

Now, I'm going to have to probably buy a compact pair like a Hexa dumbell 42.5 or a 45 lb pair of dumbells so as to not Waver my wrists in pain and to not pop my back / spine out

Forget about the Cable Crossover Machines which are sorely missed. I curse the day I ever threw my Powerline Pc xx__ model cable crossover away when I had to move 3 years ago because of an emergency--they were $420 when I purchased them 8 years ago and widely available. They are nowhere to be found now until "further notice"

Thanks in advance for your help and I have Enclosed a Pic of what the Fred Flinstone Huge Dumbell plate, 1 side of it, 20 pounds x 2 looks like for referencce in answering this question.

I mean look at it....ok? Not unless I got a training buddy on each side of the flat bench to hand me the two (2) FORTY pound dumbells and then pick it up...my wrists (even if I wear wrist bands) are going to take a toll in pain not to mention Wavering on the Flat bench and popping a verterbra out of alignment....That's why a smaller compact -- small circumference FORTY pound weight is Much Much Easier Better Safer /healthier ....am I right?

Thanks, again
Everyone stay safe and God bless.

Attachments

• dumbbell.jpg
    dumbbell.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 28
I just notice a difference 2 months ago when i purchased these two (2) twenty pound plates on dumbbells. On a standard barbell, they're ok. But on a dumbell, trying to do flat bench chest flyes...well they hurt and take forever to do the exercise, even though I can handle the weight. Just seems to be a case of math & physics, right?

bar thickness, plate type (rubber/metal), shape, etc. all make a difference

it matters if you are a strength athlete trying to improve knowing what you can do. for the rest of us at the end of the day though are you getting in a good workout

I always go with the movements that are most comfortable and do not risk injury. With a bum shoulder I always have to have this top of mind. Especially with something like a flye where the shoulder is at risk.

If you cant perform the movement correctly then its not going to work. With this pandemic I've put together a home gym. I have some olympic dumbell handles and putting 25s on there just look silly and dont work well. I stack 2 or 3 10s on each side with a 5 lb or two which seems to work fine

this is too scientific, go in and put things up and put them down

Top Bottom