Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbbells vs. Barbell Bench Press

pennypacker

I don't have a spotter, so I can't do barbell bench presses to failure. If I use dumbbells instead, is there a major difference in terms of the amount of mass I can put on?

a lot of the pros have ditched barbell works all together. me however i still have yet to feel good enough pump when using dumbells to ditch barbell. i get better pump using wide-grip barbell but i use both and will continue to until my shoulders tell me to ditch barbell.

Dumbbells allow for a greater range of motion. In general, when you lift, you only get strong in the range of motion you lift in. Like, lets say you work up to a 315 bench, but only come half way down, that doesn't mean you can also handle 315 all the way down the chest.... cause you havn't trainined that range of motion.

So, i can think one benefit of dumbbell work is that you will train ranges of the motion that you cannot get with barbell work.

I am not saying one is better than the other, i am saying they are different, and both beneficial.

-Fatty

After years of doing bar bench, I switched to DBs roughly six months ago. I still do bar, but I always start with DBs. They will be my primary chest excercise from now on.

I got my best gains switching from barbells to dumbells. I guess it varies from person to person.

I don't like the idea of a loaded bar crashing on my chest if I reach failure prematurely. It has happened to me several times and has hurt my shoulders, rib cage, not to mention my ego. With dumbells I can push myself more knowing that I could always drop em if I can't handle the weight. Psychological edge I guess.

In terms of chest development, I believe dumbells, because the longer range of motion they offer, are better overall for making quality gains. But for sheer power and mass, barbells are still king no doubt.

Personally, I wish my body were made better to handle barbells. Nowadays the only barbell exercise I'll do are sqauts.

Honestly, I do both. I love the bar - and will not give that up. However, dumbbells have been a nice addition to chest exercises.

THE BOTTOM LINE:

for mass @ strenghth: barbell

otherwise: dumbells

Top Bottom