Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbbell vs. Barbell for Shoulder & Incline Bench Press

lil-swole

For most people, I know they can push a lot more weight with the barbell than with dumbbells, but for some reason I do nearly the same amount of weight on these exercises with dumbbells and barbells. Also, the barbell feels very unnatural for me with these exercises. Is this just normal for some people? For flat bench press though, I can definitely do a lot more with barbell than with dumbbell.

Does this mean I should just keep working at the barbell, or should I just stick to the dumbbell since it feels more natural for me?

PrimordialMan1 said:
i'd say do dumbells. it forces you to to work each side evenly. and if you do single arm, it can give you a great core stablization workout.
I do the core lifts and supplement them with dumb bell lifts after. :)

All depends on your body type. db's just dont cut it for me on inclines.. am 6'2" with broad shoulders db inclines dont cut it.. if i dont go wide with bb's my chest just doesnt fill out.... i know guys 5'6" can do flat bench and get upper pecs just because theres no were for the muscle to go , it fills out the entire pecs..

If you have strong shoulders those can be great stabilizers, which are weaker for people than the "bigger" muscles that they are targeting (Pecs, Tris). I like doing barbell workouts initially and then hitting the dumbbells to finish off, just as needtogetaas said.
I say if barbells get boring, switch it up!

Top Bottom