Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

dumbbell bench vs barbell

automaticj5

Just got a question -- dont know if it is possible to answer or not -- And I know most of you will say just go do the other one but it takes a while to get up on the opposite -- Anyway -- I have been doing dumbbell bench for a long time now and am doing 85lb dumbbells on my 4th set 8x... my question is what would 85lb dumbbells transfer to on a straight bar if at the same level?

I think its good to switch it up. I use both in every chest workout but once a month I usually do more dumbs for at least inclines. You really cant compare the weight. Say you bench 200 with barbell, that will feel lighter than using 100pd dumbs.

You cannot just add 85+85 to get what you would flat bench. Db bench requires more balance and other muslces than flat so it would equal out like that. The only way to find out is to do it obv. If you havent done flat bench in awhile your not going to be using to heavy of weight regardless of what your DB benching.

Yeah that was my point of asking the question -- it is way easier to bench 170 lbs on a straight bar then to through to 85 dumbbells up... I didnt know if there was a formula or a rule of thumb to go by...

and yeah -- When I go do bench on a straight bar -- its a lot different its crazy... cuz I know in retrospect dumbbells are harder weight wise due to having to balance and such...

DB's are by no means 'harder'. They are simply different. I prefer the bar as I have never seen a meet with people doing max singles w/ DB's.

DB's have their place for sure and they can fill in some gaps...and if you want big titties they are a must. For strength stick to the bar.

(2) different things in a sense. A good example is I have a buddy who could do over 300 on incline, but had a hard time with 75lb DBS on incline. because he never did them. My advice like what was already given is switch everything up on a regular basis.

I think its time to switch it up to the straight bar and suck it up that ill look like a wuss for the first little while :( lol

I never switch to db's because in meets, what they care about is what you can lift on the bar.

Actually, I lied: I use dbs for incline presses lol :)
sorry for confusing you :(

Well, I max bench 285. I can probably bench 95x8 time? I don't know, something like that. There is a big difference, but I rarely do dumbells anymore.

Top Bottom