Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dropping body fat, routine question

wordomr

Sup,

I need input from you experts. Right now I am trying to drop bodyfat percentage while keeping muscle. What sort of routine and cardio combination should I be doing? (yes i know diet is an important part of cutting as well) I am just making sure the workouts are on check.

Full body routine 3 times a week and cardio most days of the week including weight days

-or-

Upper-lower body split routines each done twice a week plus cardio most days of the week

-or-

Just a normal split routine and cardio

Stats: 26 6'3" 235 around 19% bodyfat, been lifting off and on for years, but probably not the most optimal or smartest lifting in the world, wanting to get serious about it now

I'd appreciate your help
Thanks

I've always thought a good routine is a good routine, just reduce your volume a little bit as you get lower in calories. Basically, you only have so much energy. You want to keep heavy lifting in there, which signals the body to keep its muscle. So an upper/lower split works fine. A whole-body 3x/wk approach works fine too. I'd stick w/ more of a strength approach, and back off the volume but otherwise keep it about the same as when bulking.

both work well as PB said. the difference would be that while cutting you'd probably have to reduce overall volume. intense cardio (short bursts, which includes HIIT) 2-3 times per week 8-10 mins per session after weights. the diet should take care of the rest (actually it's the most important part) - be careful of not consuming enough cals. also, if you're starting to feel lethargic, then get in a high carb meal or two to replenish muscle glycogen stores.

I do the 5x5 routine right now for my cutting needs. All of your lifts other then assistance are compound, so you're going to retain quite a bit of muscle mass. I was on calorie restriction one week before I started back at lifting, and I was gaining on all my lifts for 4 weeks, right now Bench is stalling but Squats are continuing to grow, as are GP rows but I just learned to do them right.

I do Cardio on Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday. I take off Thursday to let my legs rest due to the fact Friday is doing your 3RM for Squats. I'm doing 40/30/30 Pro/Fat/Carb Macro right now, getting 2100 calories or so in now, I had to reduce calorie intake.

My cardio is HIIT, but I don't do it after I lift, should I? Anywho, I'm switching my HIIT to One minute 15 second as 3.5mph, then 45 seconds at 12mph and doing that for 25 minutes which should be all I can do I think. The cardio is rough because if you're doing squats are hard as you can on Friday, Saturday is going to burn!

Use the same training routine you use to gain muscle. What is good for gaining muscle is good for keeping muscle. Your diet is the major variable for dropping bodyfat.

BodyByFinaplix said:
Use the same training routine you use to gain muscle. What is good for gaining muscle is good for keeping muscle. Your diet is the major variable for dropping bodyfat.

what he said

BodyByFinaplix said:

This is true to a degree. You likely won't want to do quite as much as when you were bulking, so slashing volume would be a good idea.

HST works well for many. There seems to be something to the increased frequency and maintenance of muscle mass.

I highly recommend Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 (UD2) as the dieting regimen, especially if you want to get really lean without losing much (if any) mass, and you're natural.

Damn, I was hoping you'd give me ammunition, but you posted a pretty legit question.

Lone Trooper said:
This is true to a degree. You likely won't want to do quite as much as when you were bulking, so slashing volume would be a good idea.

HST works well for many. There seems to be something to the increased frequency and maintenance of muscle mass.

I highly recommend Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 (UD2) as the dieting regimen, especially if you want to get really lean without losing much (if any) mass, and you're natural.

Damn, I was hoping you'd give me ammunition, but you posted a pretty legit question.

And I would have to agree with you that cutting volume back but keeping intensity and frequency high can be beneficial as well, if one is not using tons of drugs to help hold onto their muscle mass.

HAHA, sorry to disappoint you lone trooper in the lack of ammunition, i try to do as much research as I can before I pose a question in these forums. But seriously, I really do appreciate all of your input and what not. i definately am not an expert here, as there is always something new one can learn.

As far as bodybyfinaplix's statement, the only supplement I am using right now to keep muscle mass is optimum whey protein and some 5-star fat burner (although i think i wasted my oney on that fat burner, i dont feel anything with that). I am trying to bring down the bf% percentage to below 15% cause thats what has been reccommended to me by others on here where one should be at when they juice. I figure I will continue to research and what not about juicing for the first time (noob here) while I bring down the bf% as a motivation factor haha. Like I said, trying to do my research beforehand so i know what i might get myself into.

Top Bottom