Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Drop sets vs normal sets

Minatchev

What do you think is more effective for a balancedgain in mass and strength – drop sets, or normal sets? I have seena study recently, that says drop sets are good for muscle volume, butnot as good for strength. If this is true, how would you go around tocombine them, and get the best of both?

i love drop sets bro. but if you want to build strength it is about building consistency at a lower level and moving up slowly. i see too many guys trying to do 1-2 rep maxes, you will end up hurt doing that

do 5-6 reps at a lower weight and work your way up. that is how you build strength the right way

Not long ago I have read a study, where they determined that normal sets (with X number of reps and weights) are better for strength development, whilst drop sets are more suited for muscle volume development. Therefore, it is best to combine the two, and I would start off with normal sets in order to develop more strength, which will make it easier to perform better with the drop sets, which will lead to muscle volume to grow better.

The best intensity technique to build strength is rest pause. The problem with drop sets is that you using LESS weight on each drop. That's not what you want when trying to build strength.

With rest pause sets, you force your body to get more reps then you normally could with a heavy weight. It is by far the best intensity technique for increasing strength.

It is very demanding on the central nervous system though so I would only do drop sets for a few exercises each workout.

I love drop sets for the pump I get but they probably wouldn't be optimal for strength. For strength you want to be doing lower reps but still with a heavy weight. I would focus on around 5 reps for strength gains. Move up slowly to avoid injury.

Top Bottom