Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

doing the math on smith machine stack to free weight conversion

nietilla

I lift 240 on the smith machine, i guess you won't be able to do 240 on free weights as easy as you do it on the smith machine, but do you guys have any idea how to convert? thanks.

Not a clue. They are all somewhat different. One I used they said it was like a 40lb difference. But I don't know how they came up with it. lol I did stick 45s on and gave it a good shove. The bar floated to the top and back down nicely into my hands. Needless to say, that was the first and last time I used a smith machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smith machine and free weights are like day and night.

Its completely different dynamics, angles and workloads. YOU CANNOT COMPARE

There is not a set formula but obviously you will lift much less with free weights. Just start really light so you don't risk injury.

Each smith machine has a different resistance. Depending on the pulley system used, each smith machine will provide more/less resistance. It's not black and white like weights where 50 pounds is 50 pounds.

I would say a good rough estimate is that the weight you can use on a smith machine would be equivalent to 70% the amount you can lift with free weights. For example, if you can lift 100 pounds on the smith machine, you could probably lift 70 pounds with free weights.

I really am not a big fan of the smith machine. It locks you into a range of motion and doesn't train the stabilizer muscles. Free weights are always superior. They will give you better results and they are safer because you have full range of motion.

It is really hard to tell exactly how much weight would correspond to the free weights when compared to smith's machine. First of all, all of them are different, and as @muskate has said, they might have different resistance, which would affect the weight as well. Secondly, it would be hard for you to repeat the exact same movements with free weights.

So if you want to do something similar, just use the weights you feel comfortable with - don't try to repeat the weights you use with the smith machine. Use the weights that fit you best, and gradually increase them.

Top Bottom