Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does swimming stamina carry over to running stamina and vice versa?

Yarg!

Platinum Membership gift from THE BOMB SQUAD!
hi guys, just a question: when u swim long distances, naturally u built up endurance and stamina , but does it carry over to running? i want to increase my running and swimming stamina, but i dont really have time for both. so say if i jogg 5miles each day, will it improve my swimming strength once i go in the water (say from 500m non stop swim to around 1km)? or if i swam constantly 500-1000ms each day will i suddenly become a better runner? im talking a 1-2 month training period. thanks.

You will be able to breath easier, but you are using your muscles differnt in each exercise. I use to swim laps for 30 minutes, then go run 3 miles right after.

You will still have to run, even if you swim, if you don't have time for both, alternate days

jdynasty said:
You will be able to breath easier, but you are using your muscles differnt in each exercise. I use to swim laps for 30 minutes, then go run 3 miles right after.

You will still have to run, even if you swim, if you don't have time for both, alternate days

def. agree if no time for both alternate. or split like jd did. swim for a bit then do a run immiditaly following swim. yes it will help endurance overall as far as swimming helping running endurance yes, and vise versus. but thats just stamnia endurance. you would have to run to keep your lower extremities (spelling) in shape and swim to keep all those muscles in share that way you can carry out both for long periods of time. i am currently on a swimming and running program thats great. are you training for something particular or just for self.

diced

Ahhhh - lots of bad answers here. Sorry guys.

The muscles you use aren't relevent here. And if you are swimming right you are using your legs pretty minimally. And you shouldn't be using your arms much at all.

Swimming doesn't do jack for running. Running does help with swimming - but if you are swimming *right* endurance really isn't an issue. A light jog for 10 minutes is more difficult than swimming for 10 minutes.

If this isn't true, then you aren't swimming right. See this: www.totalimmersion.net.

Little more detail - endurance depends on your aerobic capacity. Your heart rate is a direct derivative of how hard that aerobic system is being hit. Your HR doesn't get nearly as high when you swim as when you run. The lowest level of running is zone 1 - a zone where you aren't even using all of your slow twitch muscles (purely aerobic).

Swimming has more in common with golf than it does with running - all in the technique.

Good luck.

One thing that I found in my swimming off seasons (in the distant past), was that all of the hard work in the pool increased my VO2 max to the point that running, basketball, and soccer were less tiring than they would have been untrained. Actually, looking at my last sentance, I have to say DUH! You can increase your overall aerobic capicity in the pool, but to excell in running, you need to run, just to get the muscles used to doing the movements involved in running as efficiently as possible.

Synpax said:
Ahhhh - lots of bad answers here. Sorry guys.

The muscles you use aren't relevent here. And if you are swimming right you are using your legs pretty minimally. And you shouldn't be using your arms much at all.

Swimming doesn't do jack for running. Running does help with swimming - but if you are swimming *right* endurance really isn't an issue. A light jog for 10 minutes is more difficult than swimming for 10 minutes.

If this isn't true, then you aren't swimming right. See this: www.totalimmersion.net.

Little more detail - endurance depends on your aerobic capacity. Your heart rate is a direct derivative of how hard that aerobic system is being hit. Your HR doesn't get nearly as high when you swim as when you run. The lowest level of running is zone 1 - a zone where you aren't even using all of your slow twitch muscles (purely aerobic).

Swimming has more in common with golf than it does with running - all in the technique.

Good luck.

Swimming actually uses most of your legs, that is if you plan on going anywhere in the pool. I think swimming steadily at a pace for 10 minutes is much harder than running for 10 minutes.

I used to swim competitively and still swim recreationally and it definitely helps with breathing, but just becuase you are an awesome swimmer doesn't mean you are a good runner.

Clean said:
Swimming actually uses most of your legs, that is if you plan on going anywhere in the pool. I think swimming steadily at a pace for 10 minutes is much harder than running for 10 minutes.

I used to swim competitively and still swim recreationally and it definitely helps with breathing, but just becuase you are an awesome swimmer doesn't mean you are a good runner.

Use of muscles in this capacity - running or swimming - is irrelevant unless you have had some severe atrophe. It's all about your aerobic capacity (google it). In swimming, technique matters even more.

Finally, you don't really need to use to your legs in swiming. You don't need to use the muscles in your arm too much, either. See here: http://www.totalimmersion.net.

ok, so if you don't need to use your legs or your arms, what would you use???

I know technique is the most important, coaches will worry about that the most and we used to use fins, booeys, paddles, kickboards, etc...all working on our stroke.
We even had an underwater camera that we would use and then watch to improve streamline, etc...

Legs is one of the most important body parts in swimming. Once you get your kick down, this being technique, then comes training. Why do you think coaches make the swimmers do laps of kicking on boards, underwater kicking, and all out sprints with fins? To work on kick! With out a solid kick you will go nowhere in the pool. If you had no arms and a great kick, you would still be able to go somewhere.

It upsets me that you keep saying these things. Like you don't really need to use your legs?

My coach used to train pro football players, so I think he knew what he was doing. He didn't train them to play football, but trained them in the pool.

In those videos, it may look like they aren't using their legs, but they have a constant kick. Once you get a technique down, you need to train your body to be able to keep doing those things, while thinking about your technique subconciously.

I guess I am more worried about swimming fast, but even for aerobic or anaerobic swimming, you must maintain a kick, usually a 6 beat kick. I doubt anyone on this board who didn't used to be a swimmer could do that. That is 6 kicks per arm stroke.

Running and swimming are both useful. Ones lower body and one is upperbody. Of course it will help with your lungs and pumping your arms while you are running, they are both good for your heart. But as for being a better running, like with anything else, you have to practice running. The more you run, the better you get.

Top Bottom