Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Does specific rotator cuff training prevent injury?

Jabs

I have never been injured when lifting weights but you never know. Once in a while I see people strengthing their rotator cuff and I was wondering if it actually helps that much. Any help with would be appreciated.

Thanks
jabs

If you don't train your rotator cuff you can set yourself up for injury by creating a muscle imbalance. I do a few sets of external rotations every week or two.

I've also read (although I haven't experienced this myself) that rotator cuff training can increase your bench press.

Colgan has a book with fantastic information regarding this topic.

Michael Colgan, New Protocals for Power (or something like that).

Check it out...

Do you train it the same way you would do for a muscle? When I was lifting the lighter weights I wasn't concerned about it. Now I work out with some of the bigger dudes in the gym and most of them have shoulder and elbow problems. I don't want that to happen to me..

Good karma for responses

Jabs said:
Do you train it the same way you would do for a muscle? When I was lifting the lighter weights I wasn't concerned about it. Now I work out with some of the bigger dudes in the gym and most of them have shoulder and elbow problems. I don't want that to happen to me..

Couldn't have said it better bro. :D

I was constantly running into shoulder problems as my lifts went up - then I started adding in the move... how to describe...
I hold a plate (light - 10lbs but started lighter) and then hold my elbow up so that it is parallel to the ground and my hand is up in the air - my forearm at a right angle to my upper arm.
then I lower the weight as far as I can forward and backward without pain.
I do 20 reps on each side.

also with cables, or rubber tubes there is another one where you do the same motion, but with your elbow at your side so that your forearm is the one that is now parallel to the ground and you are pivoting it so that your hand goes in front of you. I've seen people do this with free weights, but unless you are lying on your side on a bench, granvity doesn't play into it correctly.

does any of that make sense? way easier to show.

anyway - after doing those, no more shoulder probs (knock on wood).
my lifts went up, but I'm still a pussy and don't lift that much.

I've seen people doing those. I'll try to incorporate them into my next workout. Any suggestions on which muscle group day to do it on? Chest day? Shoulder day? Leg day?

oh, I do them everyday I'm in the gym - so the 5 weekdays for me.
I started off with 5lbs and 10 count on each side, and worked up to 10lbs and 20reps - I could do more, but supposedly they are very tiny and delicate and they say reps are more important than weight.
hell, most recommend using the rubber tubes as resistance -but I think that stems from recovering from an injury

Top Bottom