Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does anyone mix training styles?

sloppy joe

does anyone use both westside & periodalization.For instance,
using westside for bench and periodalization for squat &
deadlift.The gym i train at I'm not able to do alot of the squat
& deadlift exercises because of lack of equipment.Do any of u
have any suggestions?

Do assistance exercises. Goodmornings, SLDL,.... why can't you do deadlifts?? All it requires is a bar and some plates.

Anyway, I change routines all the time. I don't feel like I'm elite enough to use westside yet. Maybe when I hit 1000 total or something.

-Zulu

Anyway, I change routines all the time. I don't feel like I'm elite enough to use westside yet. Maybe when I hit 1000 total or something.

I think you have a point about this. I think the main reason for training with 50-60% of 1RM was to eliminate joint and spinal injuries from using heavy weights. I only total about 900 right now and I have changed my routine so that I do speed day mainly as a warmup and then I do some form of benching or squating for 5 sets of 5. One what would be a max effort day, I work up to 5 sets of 2 in a related exercise.

Another thing I do different is that I wait 3 to 4 days between speed and max effort and 4 to 5 days between max effort and speed day. I think the speed workout is really important for building explosive power but I believe I really need heavy reps to build mass and strength.

Just a little background:
I started lifting at 12 and lifted on and off until I was 17. For about 4 months when I was 17, I lifted 5 days a week. My bench went from 225 to 255, my deadlift went from 295 to 385 and my squat went from 245 to 405 at a bodyweight of 165. These were all raw. The reason I mention this is that I believe the heavy squats I did were the reason for the 160 lb. increase. I also mention this for another reason.

Fast forward 19 years:
Married with children, fairly successful career and nearly 20 years of enjoying life's more sedentary pursuits (drinking, fishing and just plain old sitting around), I realized I was a weak fat f@*k. I tried jogging which hosed up my knees and a hip. Apparently my 36 year old body wasn't the same as when I was a teenager. So I thought, why not lift again. I had lifted less than a dozen times in all those years. Why? Because I got so burnt out from lifting that I never had the drive to start again. Plus my life was/is fairly busy which doesn't help.

Well, it is now 1 year later. I missed most of the Summer and washed away most of my gains from working 80-100 hours a week. I've been lifting regularly (3-4 times a week) since the end of November. I've been sick twice so I missed a couple of workouts lately but I plan on sticking with this for the long haul. My longwinded point for the youngsters is that you shouldn't have powerlifting as the one and only thing in your life. You could burn out like me and not even want to see another weight again for a long time. Then you're f*$ked because you have to start from scratch again without the added benefit of massive naturally occuring quantities of GH and Test in your body.

I realize this has nothing to do with the original post but I got off on a tangent. Of course you don't have to read it.

Of course it would work. To say it wont work would be to say if you cant do westside then you cant be strong. Do the assistance exercises, pull and squat and you will make good progress regardless.

whats periodization? is there a certian routine..

or do u just mean dropping ur reps.. 10 for a few weeks then 8 then 6 then so on?

Periodization is, in a nutshell: Changing your routine. That can come in a change of exercises, reps, sets, volume, etc.....

It's the only way to train.

-Zulu

I currently use a western style periodization/Westside style program. I used to use periodization before I was introduced to Westside. In 2000 I switched to Westside training and actually saw a decline in some of my lifts. This was due to the fact I was new to the program and didn't understand all the intricacies of applying different ME exercises to address specific weak points.

Since then I've attended Dave Tates seminar and have the videos and have a good understanding of the program. In the middle of 2001 I switched to the program I use now and have seen better improvements than using westside alone(for the bench). An example routine would be:

I take my max and add 3 pounds to it each week as well as taking a certain percent of that estimated max each week to work out with. I do two top sets only. i pick a ME exercise that I feel will help my weak area.

weeks:
1 2 board press with (400x.81) 2x5
2 2 board press with (403x.84) 2x5
3 2 board press with (406x.87) 2x3
4 2 board press with (409x.90) 2x3
5 2 board press with (412x.93) 2x3 I add the shirt this week
6 2 board press with (415x .96) 2x2
7 2 board press with (418x. 98.5) 2x2
8 max

Then I do my assistance work for triceps and back

But the key to this is knowing you weak area and applying the right exercises to the problem. I feel that addding the shirt really gives me a boost both mentally and physically in the middle. I usually add more wt the 5th week so the percents are only a guide, you can adjust up or down. I also like the practice I get in the shirt and using the boards saves the shirt for your max.

Next cycle you may want to add 3 board presses since your sticking point may be higher, etc....

Top Bottom