Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does anyone know the answer?

Peterlumberjack

Plat Hero
Platinum
Im assuming its fact, but feel free to debate.
roughly 16% body fat is ideal for strength.
I dont know why i think this, but i must have read it somewhere i considered credible.

Why?
Why are you stronger when you have more fat?
What happens in your body to allow this?

Having a thicker midsection (due to the extra fat layer around it) can also help improve leverage and stability especially in the squat and benchpress.

Im assuming its fact, but feel free to debate.
roughly 16% body fat is ideal for strength.
I dont know why i think this, but i must have read it somewhere i considered credible.

Why?
Why are you stronger when you have more fat?
What happens in your body to allow this?

16% I don't know about...but I'd say anytime you are trying to be under that AND are a strength athlete...you AREN'T a strength athlete.

Never ever EVER get near that line of caloric deficit or even EVEN. Always consume extra UNLESS you are trying to MAKE WEIGHT. And most of the time that just means you are water loading/unloading/loading...unless you are trying to really cut several classes for personal reasons.

Nobody drops weight and gets stronger. EVERY Powerlifter gets off the scale and starts looking for their biggest bloat of their lives so that they can lift the most when they step onto the platform. The idea is that you are so bloated you can barely see the bar over your bloated eye lids. If you step on the platform and you look AT LEAST 1/4 Asian...you have done your job!

Mariuz is NOT the World's Strongest Man. He never beat THE REAL Zadrunas Savickas and the last time they competed head to head...Z beat him then he retired. Heck...every time in the last 6-8 years that they faced each other...Z never lost. Mariuz is what he is because of who he is...it has nothing to do with his body fat. In fact...every time a HEAVY show would come up...he would do everything that he could to gain at least 20 pounds...MINIMUM! You need the weight to be stronger.

And you never want to be dried out and lean when you have to perform...no matter what the sport is. You end up with no endurance, cramping, muscle tears...etc. I don't care if you are a long distance runner!

If you are a powerlifter...don't worry about your body weight or body fat percentage...just ALWAYS stay full and always stay healthy.

In short...I'd say NEVER drop below 12%...14+ is better!

lets remember a guy in the 129 weight class is gonna be at a huge disadvantage vs. a guy in the 159 weight class.

however there are a ton of strong 120 pounders or guys like moya who weigh 150 pounds who can outlift even 200 pounders.

back to this question.. I think that its gonna be hard to really lift heavy at 7% bf.. so i think mid teens is a sweet spot depending on the age. it could have to do with the extra fat/water cushioning the ligaments and tendons allowing them not to be overstrained. but I don't think that is the sole explanation.

this is a very good question though and later on today I am gonna research this and chime back in. I'm curious myself. in my situation when i hit 17% bf after 2 deca cycles I weighed 193 pounds and I was the strongest I've ever been which makes me think that the extra water in the body and muscles provides that extra cushion. now at 183 and on tren I am strong but I do notice when i go heavy I get mean pumps and pain which i did not get when i was holding deca water

not nesecarily excess calories, but more has enough calories to allow for strong performace

e.g having lots of carbs in you would allow for maximum glycogen stores in your muscles, aswell as better recovery and more energy to lift

this ability would allow you to gain strength alot faster or train alot harder, and recover better

while calorie defeciets tend to lead to drops in leptin and thyroids output which tends to make people weaker due to the lethargy they suffer

so yes a calorie excess does tend to lead to stronger lifts, however generaly calories excesses from carbs and fats give more strength then calorie excess from protein as protein is much harder for the bdoy to metabalise and use for energy
!! yep.

and with the excess carbs comes spiking insulin and fat storage. its easier to put on muscle and strength while putting on a little fat with it.

cool to see bfolds' input too. good thread

Mariuz is NOT the World's Strongest Man. He never beat THE REAL Zadrunas Savickas and the last time they competed head to head...Z beat him then he retired. Heck...every time in the last 6-8 years that they faced each other...Z never lost. Mariuz is what he is because of who he is...it has nothing to do with his body fat. In fact...every time a HEAVY show would come up...he would do everything that he could to gain at least 20 pounds...MINIMUM! You need the weight to be stronger.

!

Z is a beast no doubt. Mariuz is a sight to behold though for sure.
Next year there will be no ties or countbacks....Brian Shaw will dominate:evil:

Sorry for the derail....carry on. :biggrin:

Z is a beast no doubt. Mariuz is a sight to behold though for sure.
Next year there will be no ties or countbacks....Brian Shaw will dominate:evil:

Sorry for the derail....carry on. :biggrin:

Sorry man but you are WRONG.

Not "Next Year"....THIS YEAR! Only 4 months away!

At least I hope he does...A LOT of guys have came SO FREAKING close yet injuries held them back, and back, and poof gone.

some theories i had when thinking about this before i posted:

maybe having a certain amount of fat (mid teens) lends it self to converting into energy more easily during exercise

maybe extra fat keeps hormones at an ideal homeostasis for strength

The excess fat possibly is essential for the CNS to function at 100%

some theories i had when thinking about this before i posted:

maybe having a certain amount of fat (mid teens) lends it self to converting into energy more easily during exercise

maybe extra fat keeps hormones at an ideal homeostasis for strength

The excess fat possibly is essential for the CNS to function at 100%

during heavy strength training you shouldnt really be using any fat stores. only immediate energy. the second two are interesting though,

Top Bottom