Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

do you use a bunch of gloves,straps,belts or do you risk it?

what do you use?

• use gloves,belts,straps,chuak

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • use belts and chuak

• none

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never gloves or straps. Just chalk. Belt occasionally on heavy maxes and events.

I used to wear gloves, but it hindered my grip strength on deads to much.

danielson said:
gloves....as i need my hands soft and delicate and not like a farmers

and judging by the pic in your avitar, there's no question as to why you need those hands soft lol

gloves, wraps, chalk....if it works for you, use it. and i don't like my hands torn up, so i use gloves.

as far as belts though.....

i don't care what anyone says, i use a belt for any exercise that can comprimise my back. since i just incorporated deads and hacksquats into my workout, i'll wear a belt for those as well as squats, standing calf raises, and overhead press.

WEAR BELTS! PLEASE! yes, i've got some back problems, but they're not in my lower back. it's just not worth the risk though. i don't want lower back problems, and i don't want to damage myself further, so i wear a belt when the exercise calls for it.

think of it as a seat belt in a car. yeah, it can be uncomfortable until you get used to it. and you don't put on your seatbelt while thinking - "ok, i'm going to get into an accident and this will hopefully save me." you put it on hoping you don't have to use it. it's just a little bit of added insurance, that's all it is. a good belt placed right can also help to keep your thoracic spine (the area between the lumbar and the neck) in alignment as well.

i don't know of any way a belt could be bad for you. if someone knows of something (legit) let us know. but we're all putting ourselves through intense workouts and pushing ourselves to the limit, so why not buy yourself some insurance and wear the belt?

crak600 > What do you do for ab work? Why do you think that a belt will protect your back on heavy lifts?

i do situps on a decline bench, sometimes weighted, and i'll do 6" and flutter kicks. yes, the back bends, but it's not nearly as bad as doing heavy (relative to the lifter's ability) squats or deadlifts. and AB work is great for the lower back because it takes strain off of your back when your abs are strong and are holding you upright instead of your back doing all the work.

with heavy lifts, having a belt on helps to keep my back straight. it's too easy to slip into bad posture, and when working with heavy weights the last thing i want is to bend ever so slightly in the wrong direction.

dunno if i came off wrong in that post or not. i wasn't trying to put anyone down or flame anyone, but simply trying to promote some safety. i've seen too many people (outside of the gym) performing pure torture upon their backs because they won't pick things up correctly or even go to tie their shoes right...yet they wonder why their lower backs hurt all the time!

if i'm wrong, please, correct me. i don't see how a belt could be bad for you, when it could make the difference of you accidentily bending ever so slightly in the wrong way and injuring yourself.

No, a belt isn't bad for you, but it can cover a weakness that can come back to bite you in the future. Mainly, a weak core.

A belt essentially gives you the impression that you have strong abs. Your abs are what support your back during heavy lifting. When you lifta heavy load, you push out with your diaphragm, shich supports your back. With the belt, it does the "pushing" for you. This is why I feel it covers a potential weak spot in your core.

A belt will not help you keep form either. (Mentally, maybe.) You shouldn't NEED the belt to keep your head up and neck straight during a lift. Poor form results in injury's, not lack of a belt.

I'm not saying never use a belt. I do for event training and on some max effort lifts. I'm just saying don't ignore a weakness, attack it and fix it.:)

Top Bottom