Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you use a belt and wraps when you squat?

big perm

I was reading an article on simplyshredded and it stated that your strength increases 10-15% when using a belt and knee wraps for squats. I've never used either for no reason other than I never really thought about it, but if it's this beneficial then I'm heading out to get both today lol.

If external accessories are allowing you to lift more, then its not really a strength increase, sure your lifting more but your not really stronger. If you need wraps or a belt for injuries etc and they allow you to lift im all for it but I think there is something to be said for natural, unassisted strength.

absolutely NOT.

i am 100% against the use of gloves, wraps, straps, belts, and all that other crap. you are only hurting yourself in the long run.

i think a lot of people view powerlifting as just a bunch of big bellied gorilla's who walk into the gym with belly fat hanging over their belts and then wrapping their joints up like King Tut. it doesn't have to be like that. if you lift with your muscles and NOT your tendons/ligaments you should never have to wrap anything up. also joint problems can be traced to 2 things. 1. lack of nutrition proper. 2. overtraining/not allowing inflammation to heal the joint

so if you see someone using wraps it means they abused their bodies to begin with. if they remove the wraps and try to lift they would probably struggle mightily which means they are actually weakening themselves as ziggie said, NOT strengthening :) weird huh?

gloves don't even get me started. strengthening your grip with gloves is not improving your grip, its making your forearms, wrists and hands WEAKER. people who wear gloves in the gym i laugh at for this reason. you are only hurting yourself once again

Haven't used a belt or gloves in years. Gave all that shit up. I use straps only on my heaviest back set, and have never used wraps.

Since my back injury 3 yes ago, I have thought about using a belt, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using EliteFitness

If your injured or you have bad joints when should you stop using them? I can squat 500 for reps did that with out wraps shit almost brought me to tears. My nutrition is on point taking fish oil and cissus for joints, keep in mind I have spent 16 years as a Marine and one year in the Corps adds two to your body. Never thought that if I still was using them it would be detrimental to training. Only use them when I squat heavy, any help or advice is appreciated.

I agree with not using straps or belts and have never used them but one thing I've found that on cycle my skin is a lot oilier and have a hard time hanging onto the bar for shrugs and deadlifts past about 3 plates. I've never really lifted that heavy but prior to using gear had no problem hanging onto the bar up to my max, which was only 365. Somewhat related, I found that using a hook grip for deadlifting was hard to get used to at first but really helped with the grip - if you could deal with the calluses halfway up your thumb ;-)

I find when I use a belt I take my form for granted. Plus I never do 1 rep maxes so I dont feel the need to.. I will use straps and wrist wraps for my heavy sets for back chest and shoulders

Sent from my GT-N7100 using EliteFitness

If your injured or you have bad joints when should you stop using them? I can squat 500 for reps did that with out wraps shit almost brought me to tears. My nutrition is on point taking fish oil and cissus for joints, keep in mind I have spent 16 years as a Marine and one year in the Corps adds two to your body. Never thought that if I still was using them it would be detrimental to training. Only use them when I squat heavy, any help or advice is appreciated.

you overtrained and wrecked your body as a marine.. there is a fail-safe line that once is crossed then your problems become chronic and once that happens you are probably fucked for life and will have to deal with it forever as best you can.

the solution is don't fuck ur body up to begin with.. i've seen on fitness sites guys say "easier said than done" that is generally a cop out where ego gets in the way of common sense. if you feel pain, then you either should lay off or go into a de-load phase to allow your body to recover.. if you fail to do this then you will end up with chronic and permanent damage which sounds like you have. of course if you are an elisted marine you can't exactly go up to your officer and tell them "sir can I take a week off to rest my joints?" he/she will probably tear your ears off for that. so you were in a unique situation. but everyone else reading this LEAVE YOUR EGO out of your training! however you did say you do 500 squats for reps, how bout dropping it down to 3 plates instead and doing proper form without feeling pain. if it hurts DON'T DO IT, i'm not sure what other advice I can give you. I assure you that you can get just as good a workout with 3 plates with proper form and pain free.

Top Bottom