Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you go to failure on all exercises?

Xinnar

When working out, should I get to failure on all ofmy exercises, or only on the last ones? The thing is that I assumethat if you get to failure on the first exercise, you will barely beable to train that same muscle group effectively later during thetraining. How do you approach this problem?

I will usually do most of my exercises by following aschedule and precise result evolution. I don't think it is a goodidea to get to failure right from the beginning. Leave it for thelast exercises of the day, and perform as best as you can, butfollowing a program, Progress has to be gradual, so with time youwill achieve a good level.

I would increase the weights by very little every once in a while. Like for example 5% every one or two weeks. This incrementation in weight will not be very noticeable, but over time it will lead to a very prominent increase of your working weights.

I see guys - thanks for the information. So how does one plan the weight's increases to progress?

Plan? Not as such unless it's for a competition. I've been lifting a LONG time. So I thought it was a big deal to press 1200lbs x 8 reps. Then a big deal to warm up with 132lbs and work with 264lbs. Now, on an iso press machine I can one arm press 154+lbs. And most of the progress has be a 1.25-kilo disc per side at a time.

I typically train to failure but am careful not to get injured. If I am doing something like bench press that requires a spotter, I will just do drop sets if I train alone.

I see guys - thanks for the information. So how does one plan the weight's increases to progress?

Every workout I try to either:
1. Add 5 pounds to the exercise (use the 2.5 pound plates) and get the same name number of reps as last week.
2. Use the same weight but get an additional rep then I did last week.

For example if I did 100 pounds for 10 reps last week, this week I would try to do either 105 pounds for 10 reps or 100 pounds for 11 reps.

Top Bottom